Elena's Reviews > Hex Hall

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Mar 30, 12

Read on November 26, 2011

This book's a little like Harry Potter meets Evernight.
And refuses Vampire Academy.
I mean, the little witch going to a school full of supernatural beings. And ghosts strolling around. Harry Potter is the first thing that came into my mind.
Then after a while the differences started showing up: there’s not only witches and warlocks at Hecate, but also faeries and werewolves and shapeshifters. (and vampires?)
Plus, the plot is totally different and the dangers Sophie has to face are outside the school, a bunch of humans trying to exterminate her kind.
And that’s where Evernight comes in. The whole humans-trying-to-kill-the-freaks totally reminded me of that, but I guess it was just normal that someone would be out hunting them, it happens in a lot of series. Still, the thing with Archer was totally Evernight-style. Okay, if you haven’t read that series, then you’re okay, but if you have, I’m afraid I’m spoilering something with this remark.
So sorry.
The ‘refuses Vampire Academy’ is a slight resemblance I found with VA, but nothing important. It’s just that, when I read of Cal, I couldn’t help comparing him with Dimitri. They sounded alike to me. Maybe not definitely the same, but I found some characteristics they had in common, like the fact that they’re always silent and thoughtful. Plus Sophie’s sarcasm and snarky comments reminded me a little of Rose Hathaway, so the two of them kind of reminded me of D&R.
Anyway, that’s where the ‘refuses’ part comes in, since she chose Archer over him.
I was a bit sad for Cal, but I was Archer all the way.

You see, Archer‘s not the kind of character for which I go all oh-my-god-I’d-drool-on-him-all-day-if-it-wasn’t-that-he’s-just-a-literary-creation, but I still liked him. He’s not the good, old, i-know-everything male character. He’s not invincible, and he has his faults. He’s just human (well, not really, but you get what I mean) and makes mistakes.
Same goes for Sophie and all the other characters.
That’s probably what I liked most about this book. That the characters were totally realistic. Even Sophie’s feelings for Archers sounded right. It’s not like other crappy books where the loser sees the hottie for the first time and automatically she’s in love with him, and goes all wobbly whenever he talkes to her. And it’s not the totally-clichè i-hate-him-so-much-then-i-love-him-out-of-the-blue thing, either.
She just sees this really good-looking guy, and—justly—thinks he’s a jerk for laughing at her.
Then they start spending time together, and she starts feeling something. Not for his broody appearance, but just because he looks her in the eye in that scene on the stairs. I found that totally comprehensible and cute.
It’s not love at first sight, it’s not some huge crush she can’t explain. As any other teenager her age would do, she tries to convince herself it’s nothing.
Plus, when he makes fun of her again, she gets back on thinking he’s a jerk.
I don’t know about you, but I found her changes of heart funny and entertaining to read. They were totally realistic, Rachel Hawkins did good at impersonating a sixteen-year-old girl.
And when she finally falls in love with him, she does for real. It sounds real, doesn’t it? Not some fake romance done just ‘cause that’s what the reader wants to hear. She slowly and helplessly falls in love with him, as he falls for her for her sarcasm and sense of humour, and her resourcefulness.
Their relationship was true and sweet, I appreciated it.
The whole book felt real. Well, as real as paranormal series can be, that is.
It made me smile, made me blush, mostly made me roll on the floor laughing at Archer’s and Sophie’s snarky comebacks.

The story in itself was good. It wasn’t rushed out, the main character actually had time to process all that was happening and slowly came to the solution of it all.
Sophie didn’t come into her powers right away—it took her time and dedication, as did the clues that brought her to finding out what was really up in the school.
Plus the climax, when she discover who Archer really was, was really good. I’ll admit, it didn’t throw me off much, because 1) as I said, I’ve already read Evernight, so I went through that shock one time and it was enough 2) I came to know of this series accidentally. I was trying to download ‘Glass Demon’ by i-can’t-remember-who and mistakenly got Demonglass instead. So I read the first few pages (yes. I hadn’t even realized it was the wrong book until I’d read a few pages and it made no sense, thank you very much) and **spoiler** heard Sophie saying how ‘the guy she loved had tried to kill her six months before’, so I got curious and read the first one but I’d already spoilered myself the ending. Sigh.
Anyway, if I hadn’t already done these things, it probably would have left me with my mouth gaping open like an idiot, so I’ll give Hawkins a point for that nonetheless.

The only thing I didn’t like in this book was the cover.
Jeez.
Okay, I’m being honest with you. I didn’t like it because I didn’t like the girl in the school uniform on it.
At all.
It didn’t even fit Sophie’s description entirely, because this chick has no freckles (that I can see), so throughout the whole book I was stuck with this bad-looking Sophie in my mind. And call me shallow, but I don’t like having an ugly main character.
Yes, I recognize I’m being very ridiculous on this, but that’s just how I feel.
Plus, the whole concept on the cover, generally speaking, was totally cliché. I mean, the lake with her witch-self reflected on it? A cat next to her?
Seriously dude, a cat ? She’s even allergic to cats.
She said so herself.
However, I’m hoping R.H. wasn’t the one who chose the cover so that I can give five stars to this book.

Wait, there’s actually two things I didn’t appreciate in the book.
Here goes the appalling quote:
“I scowled. Being manipulated has always been one of my least favorite things. Right up there with snakes. And Britney Spears." Seriously? You were doing so good, Sophie. Too bad you don’t have any taste whatsoever when it comes to music, apparently. Sigh. Loud.

I’m not sure it made my top-favorite-ya-series list, but it was totally good, well written and with enough twists to catch my attention but not tire my mind.
Summing up, it was interesting, kept me glues to the pages, and didn’t disappoint me in the least. (that’d be hard since I had no expectations on this book, but I was totally happy I’d picked it up, that’s what I mean)
So yeah, can’t wait for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex Hall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} Wow!!! This is some review...! :D
You must have been inspired! :)

Elena Haha thank you. (: I really liked this book. It was a nice read and very funny.

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} It was great! :D I loved the first book!!! I couldn't wait for the second to come out and I definitely couldn't wait for the last book!!! :D

Elena I still have to read the last one! I started it yesterday actually. :D

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} What do you think so far??? :D

Elena I just finished it, actually! It was oh-so-good.
The last book especially was both a pleasure and a torture.
I was so immersed in the story, and yet I was continually dreading the moment when it would end.
I'm so glad I "accidentally" decided to read this series, it was really worth it. (:

Joan{missing the vampire bunny slippers!} Yeah I know what you mean! :) I feel the exact same way:D
This book Was pretty good! I love Sophie as a character! Her snarkiness is hilarious and when joined to archers I can't stop laughing!

It's one of my favorite reads!

Elena Totally! One of the funniest reads I've had in a while, I think it definitely makes my favorite shelf. (: