Shannon's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights (and Days)

Fables, Vol. 7 by Bill Willingham

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in November, 2011

My daughters (especially the ten year old one) love graphic novels. This can be a bit challenging, since so many books in this genre are either violent (when geared towards boys) or overly sexualized (when targeting a female audience). At the library recently, we were browsing the graphic novel and comic book section when we found this book. The premise is interesting: fairy tale characters have crossed over into our world and created Fabletown, a refuge of sorts. I've enjoyed watching ABC's Once Upon a Time and thought this sounded like a similar concept.

While I enjoyed Fables, I found myself wishing it were targeted to a younger audience. The use of some adult language made this a book I wouldn't allow my daughters to read despite the use of fairy tale characters. Most of the plotting wasn't inappropriate for a pre-teen or teen-age child with the exception of a scene or two. So I was a bit disappointed that this book with a concept that sounded great for my daughters isn't for them.

Setting that aside, I've struggled to find graphic novels that I enjoy, especially when they are from serialized comics. I find many of them too violent and too dense in their frames. This was not true of Fables, so I'm going back to the beginning of the series to see whether I'm interested in the story from the start. If so, this may be a series I read (even if I have to keep the books on my bookshelf instead of the family one).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 7.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Josh This is one of the tamer volumes in the series. It's actually very, very adult. Definitely not for kids. If you're looking for good children's comics, the publisher First Second Books has released some very charming books, many of them geared toward a younger audience. James Kochalka's Johnny Boo and Dragon Puncher series are also wonderful. Feel free to message me for more suggestions.