Ann's Reviews > Broken Verses

Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie

Jul 04, 08

Recommended for: those of us that are wounded, wits
Read in July, 2008

This is very personal-- I feel like I could be Aasmaani. She reminds me almost exactly of myself.

I especially liked the author's discussion of the nature of one's character on pages 142-143: "Character is just an invention, but it's an invention that serves as both reason and justification for our behavior. It is the self-fulfilling prophecy that guides our lives, worming its way so deep beneath the levels of conscious thought that we forget ther emight have been a time when our defining traits seemed less inevitable.... and the longer we live with it the more boxed in we are by the rapidly diminishing variedness of our imagined selves."

And then more, "And all around us, people are reinforcing our notions by telling us directly and in their treatment of us, who we are, and what we believe in. At what point does character-playing become habit, something for which we are grateful because it allows us to go through the world with the ease that comes from being predictable to ourselves, even if that predictability takes the form of neurosis, hysteria, depression... darkly into an addiction? We are so desperate to be explicable to ourselves... even when the part of us which is not tamed by habit strains to break free and overwhelm the tired, repetitve creature that our character has become, mouldering at the edges."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Verses.

Quotes Ann Liked

Kamila Shamsie
“There is no mystery-- that's the beauty of it. We are entirely explicable to each other, and yet we stay. What a miracle that is.”
Kamila Shamsie, Broken Verses

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Beltz We're all wounded, of course. But this is a good review, one that makes you want to read the book,
and I like the lines that have been included
by the reviewer.