Eric_W's Reviews > Deadfall

Deadfall by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Nov 27, 11

Read in November, 2011

Agatha can't figure out what's happening. She's getting blonde streaks in her hair; she's having nightmares; she's missing notes in the orchestra (she's a trumpeter), and her clothes, which used to be tight on her, now are getting loose. In the nightmares she's visited by a man whom she does not know but who wants her to love him and who makes love to her in a state which she thinks is real but from which she inevitably awakes although the apparition/ghost becomes more and more real as the weeks progress. . Gerry, one of her pupils (she had had an affair with his father years earlier but remains platonic with Gerry) finds an antique photograph with a picture of a man and it is Him, the man who has been coming to her in her dreams, but dreams which now leave evidence (semen) of someone having been there. Determined to discover what might be happening, she and Gerry, seek out her past. What had happened to her mother? Who was her father? Was any of it relevant? Is the capitalization of "Him" and "He" suppose to be significant. (Unless, of course, it's the horny ghost instead of the holy one.)

I'm not quite sure what to make of this book nor whether to classify it as a thriller, suspense, horror, or mystery. I suppose it's a combination of them. It was well-written -- I very much enjoyed some of Harrod-Eagles Detective Slider mysteries-- and it certainly was suspenseful. Since we see everything from Agatha's perspective, the reader is left wondering what's real or imagined, although the ending is inevitable and predictable by the time you reach the last fifth of the book.

At times I felt like assigned four stars; other moments only two, hence the three. I have no idea how it wound up in the Black Dagger Crime series since there appeared to be no crime.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadfall.