Emily's Reviews > Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go

Hooked by Les Edgerton

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from December 02 to 11, 2011

This book is full of helpful tidbits. I found myself highlighting a bunch of helpful passages that I'll run through later as reminders as I'm working on my own openings. He did repeat himself quite a bit -- maybe to make a whole book's worth of information -- but since the information was mostly helpful I was okay with it. He did give one of his book's first sentences as an example 4 separate times though. A little pleased with himself there ;)

It's also full of eye-rollingly bad attempts at colloquial speech to try and make it seem like "hey, buddy, I'm on your side and we're just talking like two pals here!". Writing out things like "make 'em" instead of "make them" just to make it seem more... personal, I guess? And things like "Gee whiz I know I sure would like to read a book that starts out like that!". Like something my dad might type in an email to try and be funny.

Which is why I did a lot of highlighting so I can go back and read the good parts and leave his annoying commentary out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooked.