Molly Jo's Reviews > The Mediterranean Caper

The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: 2009-books
Read in September, 2009

Clive Cussler books fall into the category I like to call "Brain Candy": completely entertaining and teaches me something completely new. If you've seen the movie Sahara, then you're already familiar with these characters. I LOVE that movie and was happily surprised to realize it was a book in a very extensive series.

Dirk Pitt and Al Giardino work for the National Underwater Marine Agency and have been sidekicks since their much younger days. The interplay and banter between the two is entertaining and captivating. Cussler is the founder of NUMA in real life, so the information provided is accurate and detailed. Growing up on the Gulf Coast, I've always been interested in marine biology and explorations, so I'm extra appreciative of the information given. I'm also the type who soaks up new info like a sponge.

The Mediterranean Caper is Cussler's first novel with Dirk and Al. The action starts within the first 3 pages and doesn't stop until the very last. Dirk Pitt books aren't the kind I can read one after the other. I have to be in a certain mood and need a break from angst and/or romance. In that situation, Cussler's action is perfect. This is actually my second Cussler novel to read. The first was Flood Tide, which is right in the middle of the series. I'm starting over from the beginning now!

The synopsis up there pretty much sums it up: a plane straight from WWI starts causing all sorts of problems for not only the AFB in Greece, but the NUMA ship anchored offshore looking for an extremely rare fish in the Mediterranean Sea. Dirk and Al save the day when the plane makes it's first attack on the AFB and end up getting in a lot deeper than they planned. There's a beautiful female lead character which adds extra motivation for Dirk. All the elements of a great time!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mediterranean Caper.