Shayantani Das's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: adventure, really-good, favorite-protagonist, owned, social-issues, well-developed-plot
Read from November 27 to December 31, 2011

Dearest Steig Larsson,

I absolutely hate you! But,I think I love you too. While every author has some characteristic quality, yours seem to be to make readers pissed at you. Ever since I picked up the 1st book of this Millennium saga, I have regretted my decision countless times. You have forced me to bang my head on the wall, pull my hair, throw your books at the end of the room, and then pick it up again and read it like a mad woman, totally forgetting the outside world. You have left me with so many contradicting emotions, kept me awake at night, and if my predictions are correct, I will be thinking about you, this series and your incorrigible characters for at least 2 weeks now. Like I said, I hate you, and I love you.

I must commend you for your qualities, though. No one has ever created such impressive and realistic female characters. Lizbeth is always an inspiration, but I think you did an excellent job with all the other characters introduced in this book too. I must also state that you achieved the impossible task of making me like Berger. Indeed, that is a miracle! When you started explaining stuff about her leaving Millennium, I was totally mad at you. I couldn’t wait to get back to Salander’s part. Yet, you went on to create such realistic incidences! Berger’s problems go nowhere near Lizbeth’s, but they seem to be problems right out of real life circumstances. Then you introduce characters like Linder and Giannini, who are in one word amazing. You stun me Larsson, with your spectacular portrayal of women! I am so impressed!

now, hold on for minute!

Do not get too pleased.

You have made life hell for me for the past two months. Do you know how irritating it has been to see this book as a permanent fixture on my bookshelf and currently reading shelf? I mean, what is the point of all the unnecessary yakking? Why the lengthy details? Why introduce characters like Salander’s twin, and that Fegarula person? And why the hell do you add sex scenes that feel so completely out of place in the story. I must also comment on how Mikael's character has become too much of a Mary Sue. Desired by all women? Why is that so? I wonder how much of you is represented through him.:P

Also, I am so glad this saga is at an end. I am glad because I am certain that if there was another book, I would surely have gone ahead and bought it; in spite of my current experience. I am glad that I won’t have to go through all of the emotional drama again, experience all the turmoil, and feel kinship for Salander.

I am happy and I am inexplicably sad.

This book was clearly not how you planned to end the series. The ending left so much scope for other stories to come after it. I feel very very sorry that there is no more of your work to read and that you will never be able to read this review (not that any author of your standing would). I feel very sad that you died without seeing what a sensation your books became, how the memorable characters you created will forever be etched into the mind of us readers.

I am happy that I am ending this year with this series but don’t disillusion yourself with the thought that I would ever reread this series. Oh, no NEVER! again!

Still, I am sure that I will never forget you as long as I live.

Happy New Year!

Your reluctant fan,
Tanu

PS: I highly recommend this series btw. I can guarantee you, that you will regret it. You will probably swear at Steig Larsson, and if you read it on my recommendation, you would curse me. Still, give it a try!

50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 stars and A Happy New year to y'all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

11/27/2011 page 69
11/30/2011 page 207
37.0% "Screw Berger, get on with the real action!"
12/01/2011 page 455
81.0% "Mickael is back with his bed hopping ways. He is kind of a male Mary Sue. He is brilliant, successful, awesome in bed, and has every female character in this book swooning over him. Makes me wonder how much of Steig's character or fantasies is represented through Mickael."
12/30/2011 page 455
81.0% "Hmm, looks like you have become a permanent fixture in my currently reading shelf. Must do something about you."
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Harini I can't wait for you to complete this book and tell me what you felt.

Shayantani Das Harini wrote: "I can't wait for you to complete this book and tell me what you felt."

I am going to finish it very soon. It’s weird that even though I know everything is obviously going to end well (this being the end of the series and all), I feel so anxious about what’s coming next. This series really gives you a rush.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard What's this I read? Tanu throwing books across the room? Is that proper behaviour for a young lady? It must have been an exciting series! :)

Shayantani Das Richard wrote: "What's this I read? Tanu throwing books across the room? Is that proper behaviour for a young lady? It must have been an exciting series! :)"

Oh, yes it was! Irritating, interesting, frustrating all at the same time :p

Harini I completely agree with you. To be frank when I picked up the first book I couldn't understand what the whole fuss was about. I mean the 'The Girl With Dragon Tattoo' is good but not great. And the author's excruciating details and sex were such a turn off. And then I read 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' only and only because I bought the book along with the 1st and that book had me. After reading the series I was sad because as you said author was planning more and i wish he had an opportunity to complete what he started.

BTW, you planning on watching the movie when it releases in India?

Shayantani Das oops, I didn't see your comment earlier. No I don't think I would be seeing the movie. Reading about violence is the maximum I can take. :(

message 7: by Ash (new)

Ash I quit after the first book and really didnt like it.. but the Swedish movies are good. I actually liked the movies :)

Shayantani Das Ash wrote: "I quit after the first book and really didnt like it.. but the Swedish movies are good. I actually liked the movies :)"

I hate watching dubbed films. Also, I am not so enthusiastic about the violence parts.

Did you check out the American version, with Daniel Craig?

message 9: by Ash (new)

Ash I watched the Swedish movies with subtitles.. Havent seen the American version yet..

Rohit Raut The Swedish movies sucked. They had absolutely no soul. Let's hope the Fincher version does it some justice.

Shayantani Das Rohit wrote: "The Swedish movies sucked. They had absolutely no soul. Let's hope the Fincher version does it some justice."

I really hope so too!

Srinivas i regretted while reading 2nd book in the series

"Purple Angel" I am on the third book now, and I have to say, the first book I kind of forced myself through, the second was better and kept me reading, and the third is kind of in the middle for me. I didn't even start reading the books until after I saw the american version of the movie with my boyfriend. But I do agree, strong female characters, and I finally like Berger!

Meaghan I'm assuming the author would have at some point returned to the issue of Camilla, what happened with her, where she disappeared to, etc. And also the incident in Grenada in book #2 where Salander saved that woman's life during the hurricane. It seemed kind of apropos of nothing, you know, but I bet Larsson would have come back to it had he lived.

A shame for him too -- he has every author's dream, international stardom and fame and fortune, except he's dead and can't enjoy it all.

Preetham I've not completed the third book yet, but like the letter this lady has written.

Kaalomai did you see the movies?

message 17: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya Ha ha ha, what a contradictory review. Have to read this one and your review is tempting me.

Ankit Agrawal Tanu this is a great review. I just completed this series yesterday and I have to tell you your last lines sum it all up perfectly. You want to read it but you will regret it and love it at the same time. I just wish Larsson was alive and it could all have been so well. There are so many things in the book which could have been so so better

Jacqueline nice review, I've yet to finish but I see I'm not alone in the frustration of seeing it on the shelf for so long! I keep getting bogged down in the details, but keep going back for more!

Kaalomai Jacqueline wrote: "nice review, I've yet to finish but I see I'm not alone in the frustration of seeing it on the shelf for so long! I keep getting bogged down in the details, but keep going back for more!"

hey girl. here is my advice to you. see the movie, then skip the details. you are not missing anything at all by skipping them. it is investigation and alot of it leads nowhere at all. trust me, even if you dont see the movie first, or ever, ;D skipping the details will only add to your enjoyment of the book. the next book has far less details too. hope that helps. let me know how it goes :D

Barbara Murray I like your review, too. This final book is the best of Larsson's trilogy, in my opinion, and I too am sorry he metsuch an untimely end. Lisbeth Salander is one of my favorite characters. She's a role model! Loved the trial. Series made me want to visit Sweden, and drink a lot of coffee. They are always drinking so uch coffee!
much

Aloywischus You've summed my feeling perfectly. Thanks! I was so confused, lol. 2 stars or 5 stars...I couldn't suss it.

Kaalomai Rohit wrote: "The Swedish movies sucked. They had absolutely no soul. Let's hope the Fincher version does it some justice."

i so agree w you. i thought the american version was far superior in many ways starting w the Rooney Mara who played Lisbeth exactly as described in the book.

Kaalomai Tanu wrote: "Ash wrote: "I quit after the first book and really didnt like it.. but the Swedish movies are good. I actually liked the movies :)"

I hate watching dubbed films. Also, I am not so enthusiastic abo..."

the american version is much better. but then there is only one book covered by that version and the violence is not something to be ignored- the movie is very well done. and rooney mara played lisbeth perfectly unlike the swedish lead who i thought played it wrong and looked nothing like she was described.

Ankit Agrawal Barbara wrote: "I like your review, too. This final book is the best of Larsson's trilogy, in my opinion, and I too am sorry he metsuch an untimely end. Lisbeth Salander is one of my favorite characters. She's a r..."

There are always drinking so much coffee and don't forget eating sandwiches as well.

Lucie Jones Awesome review. Echoes my own feelings of the series. (Laughed at comment above about coffee and sandwiches.!)

Kathie This review put into words everything that I have felt while reading this triology. I seldom read a book where I cannot put it down except maybe when I get to the last chapter. I wanted to read this book non-stop from beginning to end and I so sad it is over.

Sowmya's book world i think its a time to start this series... i am waiting from a long time.

Shubha Sarma I agree with a lot of what you wrote Tanu. But I do think the last book was a let down compared to the level to which my expectations had risen after the first and then the second book. Tragically, we will not read more of this author.
I especially liked the way you wrote the review, full of emotion and passion. In case you have the time, i would request you to review my book... it's just been released and is called 'Fly on the Wall & Other Stories'. It's got a pretty good response till now and has positive reviews. But would love to hear form you. Though a part of me is afraid of evoking such strong reactions!

Kärt-britt Kokk The only thing I was mad about Stieg Larsson was the fact that he died at pretty young age because of bad habits and unhealthy life and he only wrote 3 of these books, as he said himself the plan was to write at least a dozen books for the millennium series. My life was so much more boring after I had finished the third book of the series.