Kelly's Reviews > The New Phenomenon

The New Phenomenon by Chris Raabe

Dec 29, 2013

Read in November, 2011

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Is that sufficient to sum up how I feel about The New Phenomenon?

Okay, it's not. So, let me just say this:

I LOVED THIS BOOK.

All caps completely necessary. Really, it was awesome. The action starts right away and the story stays interesting up until the very end. At one point, I was worried that the book was going to take a turn into the cliched government-is-after-kids-with-superpowers story, but it didn't. I was so glad when it didn't turn out that way; if it had become a cliche, I would have been incredibly disappointed. I don't want to give too much away about the book, but I will say this: the reason it didn't become a cliche for me was because of Roswell. When Roswell, New Mexico first came up in the book, I thought, "Here we go. Time for aliens." But Chris Raabe takes all the UFO stories about Roswell and spins an awesome explanation for them. Being from New Mexico, I really appreciated this.

I loved the wholesome aspect of this book. Small town life was realistically portrayed, and Chris Raabe did a great job of portraying life for teenagers in a small town, where football is the big thing, and the high school students throw parties and drink after the games, while creating a character who plays football but doesn't conform to his peers' standards. Christian was great. I loved it that he was a football player but that he didn't go out partying and drinking. I loved it that he loved his family and that he cared about positive things, like doing well in school, doing well in football, and staying out of trouble. I loved it that he was a positive role model for his sisters, even though we didn't see much of his sisters in the book.
There really isn't much that I didn't love about this book. I fell in love with Christian and his friends, Alexis, Ray, and Samantha. Alexis was my favorite character; I felt completely drawn to her, even though she's a relatively private character in that she doesn't reveal everything about herself. I loved what she added to the story, and I want to know more about her. The descriptions of the town are great; it was easy to imagine everything. The story is intriguing and kept my interest throughout the novel.

The way the novel ends sets it up for a sequel, and I really hope there's going to be a sequel, because I need to know what's going to happen next. The New Phenomenon is one of the best books I've read that deals with teenagers having unusual abilities. I can't wait for to read whatever Chris Raabe has in store for us next, sequel or otherwise.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Phenomenon.