Riku Sayuj's Reviews > The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion: A New Abridgement

The Golden Bough by James George Frazer
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Bough.

01/11/2012 page 10
1.0% "Truly mind-boggling in scope and depth! The cover of the book is so hypnotic that it is hard to tear eyes away from it. I find myself closing the book at random intervals and returning to staring at Turner's masterwork."
03/24/2012 page 100
10.0% "Read intelligently - it is one of the very highest pleasures life has to offer."

William1 Loved this, though it's slow going, or was for me....

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye I'm interested in reading this, too. Also, "The White Goddess".

message 3: by William1 (last edited Apr 05, 2012 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

William1 Ian wrote: "I'm interested in reading this, too. Also, "The White Goddess"."

I hope your experience with White Goddess is better than mine. I found it absolutely opaque with esoterica. Essentially unreadable, so let me know how you get along please.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye William wrote: "Ian wrote: "I'm interested in reading this, too. Also, "The White Goddess"."

I hope your experience with White Goddess is better than mine. I found it absolutely opaque with esoterica."

I haven't seen a copy yet, but I am already sceptical about Graves, because of what I've read in the past.

I was more interested in the ideas, which might be covered in "The Golden Bough" anyway.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye Thanks for the guidance, Moonie.

message 6: by William1 (last edited Apr 22, 2012 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

William1 Moonbutterfly wrote: "Trend lightly on the White Goddess. The academic criticism has been severe. I read it when I was into neo-paganism, so I really didn't care at the time.

The GB is more interesting and is taken mor..."

Oh, I put The Recognitions aside. It was just dense to the point of unreadability. How are you doing with it? Better than I did, I hope.

message 7: by Riku (new) - added it

Riku Sayuj Moonbutterfly wrote: "I love the category "on-a-break"."

:) I was moving too slow with this... thought it was time to keep it aside for some quality time later

message 8: by Riku (new) - added it

Riku Sayuj Moonbutterfly wrote: "I feel the same way about The Recognitions. I have around 200 pages to go, but my heart is not into literature at the moment. So I'm waiting."

it is the opposite with me... am falling so deep into shakespeare that everything else is fading into mediocrity

William1 Riku wrote: "Moonbutterfly wrote: "I feel the same way about The Recognitions. I have around 200 pages to go, but my heart is not into literature at the moment. So I'm waiting."

it is the opposite with me... a..."

Can you read him yet without notes? His archaisms stop me.

message 10: by Riku (new) - added it

Riku Sayuj William wrote: "Can you read him yet without notes? His archaisms stop me. "

I have evolved a nice technique by now. I read the pure text first, then an annotated version, then a modern english version and finally a pure text version again. It takes me close to an entire weekend to get through two scenes this way but the rewards are so good that I don't care about the time investment

William1 Hey, that's admirable. He's so rich that he bears such intense study well. Carry on!

William1 Moonbutterfly wrote: "Well, I prepared myself for the book and I'm limiting myself to only reading 150 pages a week. For me, that has been key. I've only read 280 pages so it's still early. I am determined to finish it ..."

Love your discipline, Moonbutterfly!