Scott's Reviews > The Woman in White

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Jun 25, 2008

bookshelves: victorian, crime, 1860s, london
Read in June, 2008

A paradigm of thrilling Victorian melodrama, Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White (1860) is an engrossing read whose 600 pages captivated me over a long weekend. Haunting dreams, telling names, insane asylums, poisonings, spy rings, illness, kidnappings, and all the other trappings of gothic fiction are threads in a convoluted plot that requires the statements and confessions of half a dozen witnesses to untangle. The labyrinthine, often redundant narrative -- a test, sometimes, of what a Reader's patience can endure -- is as turgid and yet as fascinating as the bombastic arch-villian, Count Fosco. A host of other literary creations -- the intelligent, uncompromising, yet woefully unattractive Marian Holcombe; the selfish valetudinarian Mr. Fairlie (one of Collins' greatest characters); the sometimes unctious, sometimes brutal Sir Percival Glyde, whose awful Secret is the crux of the tale; the poor but handsome artist, Mr. Hartright; and the lovely tissue-like heroine, Laura -- make this book as memorable as any of Dickens' novels. While I had The Woman in White open the world stopped spinning ... and we ate nothing but leftovers!
10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in White.

message 1: by Patricia (last edited Jun 26, 2008 09:10PM) (new)

Patricia I dug your wonderfully adjective laden, labyrinthine Gothic review. And the leftovers weren't bad either.

Alejandra "Allie" And I again ask myself why you are not working as a book critic?!! At least you should start sending these reviews over to Amazon-- you'll get little stars, thumbs up and down, and your name will come up on google (your secret life's passion I know). ;-)

Bettie☯ Patricia wrote: "I dug your wonderfully adjective laden, labyrinthine Gothic review. And the leftovers weren't bad either."

and I dig your reply here!

hahahahaha