Staci's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

May 12, 12

bookshelves: personal-library, 2012-reads
Read in April, 2012

Why I wanted to read it: Because of all of the hype surrounding this trilogy!!

Source: Personal Shelves
Thank goodness that I watched the Swedish version of this movie before ever trying to read this book. Sometimes it is beneficial to see the movie before reading because without some of my prior knowledge I think I would have bailed on this book.
The first 300 pages were so hard to plod through. Every time I thought about stopping I would go back and read a fellow blogger's review that said is was slow in the beginning but it got better.
The characters were a bit hard to keep track of, especially the family that Mikael was writing a book about..talk about head swimming with details, people, and financial information that went right over my head. All of it together made it hard for me to enjoy reading.
I think for me the book started to get more interesting and compelling when Lisbeth showed up more and the author started to peel away her layers of insecurity. I still don't know what makes her tick and why she is like she is, but I believe that more information about her childhood will be brought to light in book two!
This was a book that I wanted to love from page one, however, it turned out that I didn't really enjoy my reading until I was more than halfway involved in this story. I would be hard pressed to tell my friends that it was a stellar read. How can I convince them that even though the first half of the book is tedious, you need to wade through it because it's important to the story??? I will continue on with the next book but I don't feel any rush to get to it.

Overall: 3/5

Bookish Thoughts #26
© 2012, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

04/22/2012 page 79