Mark Trombly's Reviews > Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life

Peace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: currently-reading

I have only recently begun reading this book and have already found it to be very helpful. I have been worrying an awful lot about my future and I have been experiencing some pretty serious back and neck pain. Through the principles of mindful breathing, staying in the present, and being grateful for the little things I have already begun to see some benefit.

I'll use today for an example. As I have said, I have been experiencing a lot of back pain. It has caused referral pain to one of my shoulders. It made the muscles connected to my should hurt like they would if something was tying to pull my shoulder out of its socket. I came home today, ate my dinner and attempted to practice some mindful breathing for about 10 minutes while focusing on my back and shoulder. Several minutes after I was done breathing, I noticed that I was less tense. I moved my shoulder, it popped, and the majority of the pain went away. Hallelujah!

I probably should have read this book years ago. I had it as a text book for a meditation class that I took. Like a moron, I bought the book but never opened it. I'm glad that I learned my lesson now. I am definitely a Tich Nhat Hanh fan!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peace Is Every Step.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol I like the idea of mindfulness helping us in all different situations, pain, anger etc. I'm going to read more of this author. Didn't know that he was such a Buddhist superstar. I've only read the Dalai Lama and a couple of other Buddhist authors.