Lori's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

Jun 23, 08

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, lost-lit
Read in June, 2008

I know this is one of the 1001 Books you must read, and I have to confess, I really only read it because it is on the Lost Lit List... as I am a huge fan of the show. But I really didnt get it. I was confused most of the time, and had to force myself to finish it in two days, as there was no way I would allow myself to drag out such a short novel for much longer than that.

Am I the only person who wasnt impressed with it? I understood the premise. Marlow lands himself on a steamer and heads into dark territory to find and rescue Mr. Kurtz. He encounters some angry natives, hires cannibals as his crew, and even watches a man die, bleeding into his shoes. But wow. What a tough read. I felt lost at times, and couldnt really locate a connection to the show Lost.. so it was a double whammy for me.

I think I am just relieved that I have read it and can add it to my bookshelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.

Wreade1872 You disappoint me Lori, you disappoint me ;) . I love the writing in this and the fact that 90% of the story only exists inside the protagonist's head.
It feels like there's such a disconnect between the actual events and what the main character is experiencing and thinking.