Lisa Kay's Reviews > Smooth Talking Stranger

Smooth Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

Luke
[image error]

★★★★★ (Review of audiobook.) Good Gravy Beans, I LOVE this book. I’ve read it over a dozen times; so, of course, when the opportunity arose, I just had to do the “buddy read” of it with Jill (BTW, expect spoilers in that thread!). Since I had the brilliant idea of listening to the audiobooks of this series this time ‘round, I’ve been worried that one (or all) would let me down. No need for doubts here; I’m really happy I chose to “re-read” it with my ears.

Emily Durante is the narrator for this third installment of Ms. Kleypas’ Travises series. I had to get used to her reading, but that didn’t take long. I must admit I found subtle, unrealized things in the book when it was read to me. There is one spot where Ella apologizes to Jack; I always thought she should have done a better job of it. However, on the audio, Ms. Durante makes her sound quite contrite. Very nice.

Who am I to argue with Lady Jayne? She said, Auntee’s GoodReads review is the best, and I agree (though, I think I liked Ella better from the start than most people do). Auntee also has the best picture of Jack. **sigh** I always saw this picture as Joe, but since Ms. Kleypas tells us Joe is a younger version of Jack, I’ll happily go with it. (BTW, Auntee’s review has a larger picture. In case you want a close up. ☺)

Auntee wrote: “Just add some chest hair, and this could be Jack…”
description

Looking forward to Joe’s story!

Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smooth Talking Stranger.

Quotes Lisa Kay Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“I forced myself to take another bite of bread, chewing casually. But inside I felt stricken, filled with unexpected yearning. And I realized the problem: no one I knew would have come up with that day for me.

This is a man, I thought, who could break my heart.”

Lisa Kleypas
“No more Dane,” he eventually said with unnerving finality.

I tried to be funny. “I can't decide if that means you don't want me to see him again or if you're planning to kill him.”

“It means if the first thing happens, the second thing is likely to follow.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Back to what? A guy who bails on you when you need him? What's Dane doing now that's more important than helping you? Fighting for the rights of endangered ferns?"

I stiffened and pushed away from him, irritation jolting me out of my fugue-state. "You have no right to judge Dane or my relationship with him."

Jack made a scoffing sound. "That half-assed excuse for a relationship was over the moment Dane told you not to bring the baby to Austin. You know what he should have said?...'Hell, yes, Ella, I'll stand by you no matter what you do. Shit happens. We'll make it work. Come home now and get in bed.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Jack Travis was a novelty in my experience, an old-fashioned man's man. None of the boys I had gone to college with had been anything more than that, just boys trying to figure out who they were and what their place in the world was. Dane and his friends were sensitive, environmentally aware guys who rode bikes and had Facebook accounts. I couldn't imagine Jack Travis ever blogging or worrying about finding himself, and it was pretty certain that he didn't give a damn about whether or not his clothes were sustainably produced.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Some are nice and some aren't. Some are smart, and others are about as bright as a wet match in a dark cave. In other words, pretty normal.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Well, you missed out on some important protocol, Ella. You can't stand between a Texan and his power tools. We like them. Big ones that drain the national grid. We also like truck-stop breakfasts, large moving objects, Monday night football, and the missionary position. We don't drink light beer, drive Smart cars, or admit to knowing the names of more than about five or six colors. And we don't wax our chests, ever.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Getting to a higher spiritual level is like increasing your credit score. You get a lot more points for sinning and repenting than if you have no credit history at all.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Men are like dogs," Stacy was fond of saying. And she usually went on to add that, like dogs, they all took up too much space on the bed, and they always went for the crotch.”

Lisa Kleypas
“He was unbelievably hard. Everywhere. He was in control, infinitely stronger, and he wanted me to know it.

-Ella”

Lisa Kleypas
“I respect you," he murmured. "and your views. I think of you as an equal. I respect your brains, and all those big words you like to use. But I also want to rip your clothes off and have sex with you until you scream and cry and see God." -Jack Travis (Smooth Talking Stranger)”

Lisa Kleypas
“I was just thinking if the sex with you is one-tenth as fun as arguing with you. I'll be one happy bastard."

"You'll never find out. You--------"

He kissed me.

~ Jack Travis & Ella Varner”

Lisa Kleypas
“I've got about ten things to say to you right now. But at least nine of them would make me sound like a psycho.”

In spite of the seriousness of the situation, I nearly smiled. “What’s the tenth thing?” I asked his shirtfront.

He paused, considering it. “Never mind,” he grumbled. “That one would make me sound like a psycho, too.”

Lisa Kleypas
“One glance and I knew exactly who and what he was. The classic alpha male, the kind who had spurred evolution forward about five million years ago by nailing every female in sight. They charmed, seduced, and behaved like bastards, and yet women were biologically incapable of resisting their magic DNA.”

Lisa Kleypas
“It's drugs, isn't it"? Tara was so innocent. She got pulled into that glamorous lifestyle with all her rich friends...all that cocaine dust floating around, she probably inhaled some by accident, and then -'

'There's no such thing as secondhand cocaine snorting, Mom.”

Lisa Kleypas
“You think I'd cheat on you?" I demanded with all the innocent outrage I could muster.

"With another guy, no. With a cheeseburger . . . in a heartbeat.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Sometimes when we're not paying attention, relationships hap­pen.
There is no rule that requires two people in love to be ex­actly alike.
In fact, there is some scientific evidence to suggest that on a genetic level, the people who are the most opposite are the most likely to have a healthy and long-lasting pairing.
But really, who can explain the mysteries of attraction?
Blame it on Cupid.
The moon.
The shape of a smile.
Both of you can thrive on your differences, as long as you respect them.
You say tomato, he says tomahto .
Let it happen,
Dive in head first.
We usually learn the most about ourselves from people who are different from us.
—Miss Independent (ella varner)”

Lisa Kleypas
“You told me you believed marriage was for other people."

"You're the only man who could make me believe that it's for me, too. Although when you get down to it, love is what's real. I still say marriage is just a piece of paper."

Jack smiled. "Let's find out," he said, and he pulled me down to the bed with him.

Jack & Ella”

“Dear Miss Independent,

I've decided that of all the women I've ever known, you are the only one I will ever love more than hunting, fishing, football, and power tools.

You may not know this, but the other time I asked you to marry me, the night I put the crib together, I meant it. Even though I knew you weren't ready.
God, I hope you're ready now.

Marry me, Ella. Because no matter where you go or what you do, I'll love you every day for the rest of my life.

—Jack”

“Dear Jack,

I love you, too.

And I think I know the secret to a long and happy marriage— just choose someone you can't live without.

For me, that would be you.

So if you insist on being traditional . . .

—Ella”

Lisa Kleypas
“... I think I know the secret to a long and happy marriage - just choose someone you can't live without.”

Lisa Kleypas
“... no matter where you go or what you do, I'll love every day for the rest of my life.”

“Where's your instruction manual?" I asked him. "What's the baby
customer-service number?”
tags: humor

Lisa Kleypas
“He wasn't mine anywhere except in my heart.”
tags: heart

Lisa Kleypas
“This doesn't have fuck-all to do with independence. You're scared because you know if you start something with me, it'll go to a place you and Dane never went. He won't stand by you--he's already proved it. He went pussy on you. And now he gets laid for that?"

---Jack Travis”

02/14/2012 page 88
25.88% "I've read this at least a dozen times; thought I try it via audio this time -- and a "buddy read"! ☺" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♡Karlyn P♡ I think I've read this one three times. :-) A dozen? Wow!

Anne OK Me, too! I ♥ Jack!!!

Lisa Kay ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "I think I've read this one three times. :-) A dozen? Wow!"

I know, KarLynP! I'm going to get arrested for stalking Jack. **sigh**

Lisa Kay AnneOK wrote: "Me, too! I ♥ Jack!!!"

♥Jack♥. I think I'm changing my name to Mrs. Jack Travis.

message 5: by Erika (new)

Erika Lisa Kay wrote: "AnneOK wrote: "Me, too! I ♥ Jack!!!"

♥Jack♥. I think I'm changing my name to Mrs. Jack Travis."

Look at those quotes Lisa, it was like reading the excerpt! lol...

message 6: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 17, 2012 10:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay I know, Erika! If I could, I would transcribe the whole book. I ♥ every carefully choosen word Ms. Kleypas wrote.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Wonderful review, Lisa. The picture of the baby is simply divine!

message 9: by Jill (last edited Feb 17, 2012 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Great review Lisa Kay! And thankyou once again for the buddy-read with you. Love these Travis boys! And thanks for the heads-up about Joe's story.

Lisa Kay Thanks, Baba!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Kristen! Yes, isn't he a cutie?

Lisa Kay Oh, Jill! I really LOVED doing the "buddy read" with you. And you're welcome about Joe. ☺

Karla Oooooh, a cute baby + one HOT man + great quotes = a splendid review!!!

I've read this one a few times myself Lisa Kay! Loooove it!!

Wendy Nice one Lisa Kay! Loving the pics of baby and man. The man...especially. YEP, definitely the man. *giggles* I'm such a man HO, lol!

message 15: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 18, 2012 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay Thanks, Karla & Wendy!! LOL! I wish I could have photoshopped some chest hair on that guy, because Lord knows, Jack doesn't wax his chest, LOL!

KatLynne Loved your review and the pics Lisa Kay! I am definitely going to do a re-read on this series:) I wish I could do audio, but find I get distracted and have to keep rewinding. Maybe one of these days I'll be more focused!

Lisa Kay Thanks, KatLynne! If you're goind to listen to an audio, I would start with the In Death series by J.D. Robb. They are the best!

message 18: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 19, 2012 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Awww...Precious Luke! Love that pic, Lisa Kay! And thanks for also including the pic of Jack that Auntee found. He seriously IS Jack! *sighs* And Joe's a younger Jack? To be able to picture that man in another book? All the better! Haha! Lovely review, Lisa Kay! And that's right, no arguing with me. ^_~ LOL

Lisa Kay LMAO! Never argue with you, Jayne! ☺

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lisa Kay wrote: "LMAO! Never argue with you, Jayne! ☺"

LOL! Hmm...Now how do I convince hubby of that?? Haha!

ShoSho Your updates and review tempted me to do a re-read of the whole series. A re-listen actually. Thanks for the the temptation :D

Lisa Kay I must say, I was skeptical, shosho. I didn’t want to “ruin” my impression of the series with a bad narrator. However, they were are great – or grew on me so that I ended up admiring their style. I'd be interested in knowing what you think.

Lisa Kay Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "LOL! Hmm...Now how do I convince hubby of that?? Haha!"

Do you want me to send him an e-mail? LOL!

KatLynne Lisa Kay wrote: "Thanks, KatLynne! If you're goind to listen to an audio, I would start with the In Death series by J.D. Robb. They are the best!"

Thanks Lisa Kay! Just checked and my library has these! I'm hoping I can start book #1 this week.

Lisa Kay Oh, great! I hope you like them, KatLynne. They just get better and better with each audio. I'll look forward to your review. ☺

Ronyell Fantastic review Lisa! I loved the pic!!

Lisa Kay Thanks, Ronyell!

Ronyell Lisa Kay wrote: "Thanks, Ronyell!"

You're welcome! :D