Mick's Reviews > The Monkey Wrench Gang

The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey

U 50x66
Nov 26, 11

Read in March, 2011

Overall, a halfway decent read, but wouldn't call it "deep" in any way. The situations and story kept my interest, and I love national parks and the American West, so the places all had a familiar ring to me. But in order to enjoy all this you're gonna need to get passed the one-dimensional characters. Sorry, but these aren't actual people that you or I would give two shits about. Each one merely represents an idea or viewpoint. Edward Abbey wrote much like this earlier in Desert Solitaire, but he didn't surround it with fiction and pretend characters - it was his voice alone laying out his own opinions. He's done the same thing here but created a fictional story to be his delivery mechanism for his ideas, and it definitely reeks of propaganda. There are some merits in some of Abbey's ideas, but what holds the reader's interest is the tense situations. How will they ever get out of this one?!? Will the sheriff and his son catch up to them? Yeah, but after a few of these scenes, I started to lose interest and what really kept me was the page count to the end. Apparently, there was a sequel to this too ... meh. If you want Edward Abbey, just read it straight from Desert Solitaire, would not recommend Monkey Wrench Gang unless you want it just for a little adventure and suspense.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monkey Wrench Gang.