M Christopher's Reviews > A Morbid Taste for Bones

A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters

Nov 26, 2011

bookshelves: mystery
Read from November 26 to 27, 2011

I read most or all of this series some years ago, inspired by the BBC adaptations starring Sir Derek Jacobi. At that point, we were still depending on the local library for our reading material. But now that I've got enough of the ready to at least buy used copies of books I want to keep, I'm slowly gathering the whole set of these marvelous medieval mysteries by "Ellis Peters."

The first book of the series introduces us to Brother Cadfael, former Crusader and now cloistered Benedictine of Shrewsbury Abbey, as well as the saintly Abbot Heribert and the ambitious Prior Robert. As a Welsh native, Cadfael is deputized to go along as a translator when Prior Robert sets out into Wales to appropriate the relics of an overlooked saint. As happens in all of the books, IIRC, a murder occurs and Brother Cadfael's worldly experience and native wit are required to solve the crime and apprehend the murderer.

Ellis Peters, whose real name was Edith Pargeter, wrote with wonderful style and verve, bringing this centuries-old society to vivid life. The mysteries are knotty and the solutions satisfying. I look forward to renewing acquaintance with the rest of the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Morbid Taste for Bones.