Jenn (Booksessed)'s Reviews > Blue Straggler

Blue Straggler by Kathy Lynn Harris

Jan 07, 12

Read from November 26 to December 02, 2011

When I first read the synopsis for this novel, I thought that it was going to a cute, perhaps cliché but fun read. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The novel is fun, yes, but it’s anything but cliché. This book and the characters get under your skin.

Bailey may not always be the most likable character; but she is a memorable character. Sometimes her actions frustrated me, but I need to know her story. Her journey of self-discovery is universal, and I love that.

There is a great cast of characters in this book. I loved Idamarie so much. She is the quintessential tough, Texas woman. I fell in love with quirky Rudy from the first description him on the page. I love when misfit characters bond together and form their own surrogate family.

I could predict that some things were coming, but I do think that at times, that was the point. The love triangle was a bit of a tear jerker. It don’t usually like love triangles, but I was torn in this one. I really liked both of the men involved, and I could see her with either of these men but strongly rooted for one. It was kind of like the proverbial choosing your favorite child.

I think that anyone who loves Chick Lit, General and/or Contemporary Fiction will be able to relate to this book and I don’t see how you cannot be charmed by this book. In addition from being a contemporary love story, there is a subplot that involves a major corporation wanting to clear cut beautiful Colorado mountain grounds. Whether you fall into the “tree hugger” camp or not, it’s worth it to see how that subplot turns out.

I will be reading more from this author for sure.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Straggler.