Irisheyz77's Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

2204659
Jul 29, 14

bookshelves: australia, contemporary, debut, ebook, ya, australian-edition, review-posted
Read on November 26, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

Quotes Irisheyz77 Liked

Kirsty Eagar
“The moon is weird tonight. A yellow devil with a knowing face and hard triumphant eyes. The top of his head is cropped off diagonally, as though he is wearing an invisible hat at a jaunty angle. Usually when I see the moon I feel like I've been blessed, but not tonight. The moon is telling me to watch my feet."
pg. 50”

Kirsty Eagar
“Shame isn't a quiet grey cloud, shame is a drowning man who claws his way on top of you, scratching and tearing your skin, pushing you under the surface.”
tags: shame

Kirsty Eagar
“What did he say? You can't always pick your friends. Well, he's damn right there. I have two friends here: a fifteen year old who sees people in colours and a salsa-mad Dutch woman. I didn't pick them, they just turned up in my life, and I'm really glad.”

Kirsty Eagar
“I let myself feel good for no reason. I let joy happen right there and then, and it's inside me and around me, it's the lights on the road ahead, the clean black of the night, the cold air coming through the window. It's like hearing a song for the first time and being struck by it, haunted by it, wanting to hunt it down and catch it, because the song sums up something you didn't know you wanted to say, giving you chills and goose bumps. But even as you find out what it's called, and you're thinking you'll download it, you've already lost. Because the feeling was right then and there and it's already fading like a dream.

You just have to see those times for what they are: a chance to look down at your life. And when you do, you see it's a skin made up of shiny little moments.”

Kirsty Eagar
“He’s still singing to himself, eyes closed, pretending, I think, that I’m someone else.
I shout in his ear again. ‘So you can’t just lay down and die?’
He doesn’t open his eyes, but he nods. ‘You can’t just lay down and die”

Kirsty Eagar
“Have people been staring at you?’
He frowns. ‘I don’t know. I guess so. I forgot it was there. Can you really notice it?’
‘Well yeah, but … I think it’s great.’ To me, Danny rocking up to surf with graffiti all over his face is magic. I want to tell him that I think he’s precious, that the fact he talks to me is a gift. But of course you can’t say things like that to people”

“But you’re happy, eh?’
I blink at her, surprised. She’s right.
My happiness is crunchy. Snapping, crackling and popping in the sun.”

Kirsty Eagar
“I bury my face in my hands. And then Ryan does such a nice thing. He wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me in against him. I can feel his body heat through his cotton T-shirt, and directly in front of me are the worn, faded knees of his jeans. But most of all, I can smell him. And he smells sandy-warm, like a beach. No one can see my face in there protected by his chest. Which is good because I can’t stop crying. I mean, I’m really going for the world record in terms of an inappropriate public breakdown. But it doesn’t matter, it just doesn’t matter. I’m sheltered.”

Kirsty Eagar
“8 is just an infinity symbol the right way up.”

Kirsty Eagar
“Am I worried about the future? I don't know. When I think of the word it's like seeing a cavity, a space where a tooth used to be.”

Kirsty Eagar
“And that's humbling, knowing that your voice can mean so much to another person.”

11/26/2011 page 1
11/26/2011
44.0% "really liking this one"
11/26/2011
73.0% "I have a feeling this book isn't going to be long enough"
82.0% "I love these characters so much. This book can never end." 1 comment
11/26/2011
88.0% "This book is tearing me apart...and I'm running out of pages for it to put it together again."
11/26/2011
100.0% "why are there no more pages?? I want more..."
show 1 hidden update…