Kristi's Reviews > The Jade Rabbit

The Jade Rabbit by Mark  Matthews

Nov 26, 11

This is the second novel that I've read from Mark Matthews, and I wasn't disappointed. I confess that I felt more connected to Stray than The Jade Rabbit, but I think that's mostly because I've never been inside the head of a true runner before.

In my opinion the story takes place in a couple of different places: Janice's head and heart, Detroit and China. While the storyline of China wasn't as prevalent as the prior it struck me the most. I have not had any previous experience with adoption in that way and it really intrigued me and caught my attention. There were moments when I thought to myself "Wow, he really knows his stuff or he seriously researched the crap out of all of this!" It was touching and interesting. For this sedentary girl, it made me wish I was a marathoner. That's no small feat as I hate exercise. I agree with one of the reviews previously that this is not the sort of novel I would normally pick up, however I'm super glad I did. There is just something about his writing style that leaves imprints in my mind. Little things I wont forget.There's a paragraph that I particularly liked and have since quoted to my son.

"Our souls choose each moment, whatever it is that we need, including the right family, the right country, and the right conflicts. "When we are challenged by something, ask yourself, 'why did I choose for this to happen? What was I supposed to learn here?"
I loved this message and how it can apply to so many situations in your life.

3 stars only because I felt as if I didnt understand some of the "runner-speak" and so it was a little tougher read for me. Otherwise, I really really enjoyed it!!

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jade Rabbit.