Laurel's Reviews > The Passion

The Passion by Jeanette Winterson

Jun 27, 08

bookshelves: bookclub
Read in June, 2008

This is not the kind of book I would ever buy on my own. I mean, look at the cover. It's poo-golden and there's one of those stupid Drama Masks on it. I hate those Drama Masks with an inexplicable passion.

But since Shelly invited me to her book club, I wanted to be prepared. But then I realized I couldn't go to the meeting after all, and abandoned reading it altogether. Which is really lazy of me because this book is really short.

I did read most of it, though. It's about a soldier in Napoleon's army, with ambiguous sexuality and a fearful demeanor. Then there's a reckless and similarly passionate, but in a different way, cross-dressing woman who works in a Venetian casino. Sounds good to me. They meet in Russia when the soldier goes AWOL and they make their way back to Venice where the woman basically blows this dude's mind. I guess that's where I stopped. Why? I guess I lost interest, which from writing this doesn't quite make sense to me because doesn't that storyline sound interesting?

I think I found it to be too fantastical for me, and I didn't like the writing style. It seemed self-conscious, like she was very aware of how exactly she wanted to come across to the reader. Too romantic, not real enough for me. Or maybe if I had read it more carefully I would have seen the glory in her prose, I don't know. I just felt like the characters were floating around out in the ether and I was down here, wishing I could better relate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passion.