Debbie's Reviews > The Amaranth Enchantment

The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry

Nov 26, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in November, 2011

"The Amarath Enchantment" is a young adult fantasy novel with similarities to the Cinderella story. It's set in the real world at a vague time period, but it has fantastic and fantasy elements. The characters were engaging and varied, and the suspense (from physical danger, relationship tensions, and the mystery of what will happen next) kept me reading.

I was a bit sad that all of the "good guy" characters got their happy endings except one who had it snatched away. Since it pushed realism that everyone else got their happy endings, I didn't understand why that character couldn't have found a solution that involved happiness as well. I also felt that Beryl's whole storyline had holes in it that left me slightly confused--her people's method of dealing with problems left something to be desired.

There was no bad language and no sex scenes. The magic element involved a magic object that allowed access to another world. Overall, I'd recommend this enjoyable book as a light read for middle grade or young adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amaranth Enchantment.