Marcie's Reviews > The Four Loves

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Nov 26, 11

Read in November, 2011

I hadn't read any CS Lewis in years, and I remember not being especially impressed the first time I read this book; it didn't seem to have a cohesive thesis. However, I ran across a used copy at a flea market in NYC (irresistible) and couldn't put it down on the airplane home. I can see why I thought Lewis was tangential, and I assume I overlooked the genius because at the time I was too naive of love (& it's pitfalls) to understand his meditations. No doubt the book will be even more meaningful when I pick it up in another 10 years. This rereading also reminds me why Lewis has been one of my favorite authors. He is humble, honest, approachable, down-to-earth, without allowing his readers to escape the task & glory of becoming something more -- the definition of grace. He reads people so accurately, really picks out the hidden motivations behind the things we call love & urges us on to something better. Not to mention, Lewis was a professor of Medieval & Renaissance Literature at Oxford, so this work is rich in references to other writings on love.

Just as a warning -- I do highly recommend this book, but Lewis isn't perfect, and there's an annoying bit of 1950s style sexism in the chapter about Friendship Love. Also, he addresses this book to Christians, but I think it would be interesting for those of any faith (or lack thereof).
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Loves.