David's Reviews > An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness

An Unquiet Mind by Kay Redfield Jamison

Nov 26, 11

Read in November, 2011

Quite a book! This was recommended to me. I got a 3rd-party seller copy from Amazon ($1 plus shipping!). I started reading it last night, read til 2 am, and finished it this morning. I read it for a personal reason, but not because my own mind is all that unquiet (mine is more garden variety unquiet, like so many - or most? - of us). The book is now 15+ years old - at the time of its publication, medical doors had been thrown open re: how to best approach and treat manic depression (as opposed to the apparently less-preferred term 'bipolar disorder'; a particular distinction is made). I find myself wondering about the continued (and hopefully significant) advances that have been made since this book came out. At any rate, quite a bit that's here still seems to remain quite true. Jamison is quite successful (as both doctor and patient) in delineating the specifics of the illness. It's a very easy book to read overall - and what's equally compelling is how much Jamison captures about the human condition (whether one is trapped by mental illness or not).
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unquiet Mind.