Jacqueline's Reviews > Lady Luck

Lady Luck by Kristen Ashley

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: convicts-pows, contemporary-romance, forced-arranged-convenient-marriage, kindle-reads, interracial, owned, romantic-suspense, small-town
Read from January 17 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

I enjoyed this, just not as much as the first two in the series. I think mostly because the romance was not as front and center here. The parts I liked best were the parts where the romantic relationship was being worked out, even when Ty was being an ass; that was good riveting reading. I do have to say that I was uncomfortable with the way that Ty referred to his wife as 'pussy and bitch'. I know that may just be me because I have very sensitive knee jerk reactions to men disrepecting women and this just hit it pretty hard.

Other problems I had were: I'm really getting tired of everyone talking without using pronouns. I mentioned it in my review of Sweet Dreams. When one character talks that way, it adds to individualized characterization. When everyone talks that way, I have trouble a) telling characters apart and b) I have trouble suspending disbelief because I know that in reality very few people talk that way (except in Portugal where dropping pronouns is an integral part of the language, but I digress) and c) it pulls me out of the story trying to parse the sentences. Another problem is that the guys sometimes talk so cryptically that I h ad trouble knowing just what it was that they were doing about trying to get Ty cleared of his criminal sentence. It was just a bit smoke and mirrors to say that "Tate was working on it."

Also I think having part of the story in Lexie's first person POV and part in Ty's third person POV didn't really work as well as the lovely 1st person POV from Laurie in Sweet Dreams. I would have preferred either all of one or all of the other. I did like having Ty's view point, so I think that switching POVs was fine they just needed to both be in the same tense.

Still even though I'm only giving it 3 stars, I did enjoy it and am looking forward to reading the rest of this author's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady Luck.

01/21/2012
47.0% "Yikes! Losing steam on this one."
01/21/2012
57.0% "Well shit. That just got real exciting in a bad way and now I'm going to have to stay up way late to see how long it will take Ty to get his head out of his ass." 4 comments
01/22/2012
69.0% "Things have calmed down but I gotta say that sometimes these guys talk so cryptically in short hand to each other that sometimes I'm not real sure what's actually going on with the police part of the story."

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Tori Good review! I just finished this book too, and I came away with pretty much the same feelings about it. I forgot about the differing POV's, I didn't like them either. Still, I really enjoy this authors work, bad editing and all.

Jacqueline Tori wrote: "Good review! I just finished this book too, and I came away with pretty much the same feelings about it. I forgot about the differing POV's, I didn't like them either. Still, I really enjoy this au..."

Thanks, I just checked your review and I like who you picked as Ty. :-)

Tori Jacqueline wrote: "Am I the only one who is annoyed that everyone's voice sounds the same with all the pronoun dropping?"

Oh no, it definitely wasn't just you. I was mentally correcting them during the whole book. But, I do that anyway, so it didn't bother me too much.