Rhonda Rae Baker's Reviews > This Is Not The Story You Think It Is...: A Season of Unlikely Happiness

This Is Not The Story You Think It Is... by Laura Munson

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: family, healing, humor, memoir, motivational, second-chance, writing, dysfunction, journal, psychological
Read from November 26 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This is definately not the story that I thought it was going to be. Calling me from the Barnes & Noble 'buy two get one free' pile, I'm very pleased that I didn't resist picking this memoir up just because I honestly thought the story was going to be something else.

I laughed so hard that it made me cry...such honesty and true to real life as many of us have lived it. I'm happy to say that I am one that 'did the best I could do with what I knew at the time' and stuck 'it' out with my marriage although my ending wasn't so sweet. There are underlying currents in each individual within a family that we simply do NOT have control over. However, we CAN do something about ourselves. This is why I can say that I know I really did do the best that I could and am working on the process of forgiving myself for the things that I simply didn't know.

Life has a way of turning us inside out sometimes and the way we deal with each circumstance truthfully can make all the difference.

I'm blown away by some of the 'ratings' of this memoir...they should all be five stars because this is that powerfully insightful. Even though my marriage didn't work out, I'm encouraged by this story. I am content with what I have and am not found in the 'wanting' category of life. The rest of the story, if you will, is where I stand.

Nevertheless, this memoir has, can, and will help so many if they will open up their hearts for unconditional love. Not of other's but of the self. We truly cannot love other's until we learn to love and respect ourselves. Don't ever give up on your dreams and don't every lay down your life's goals for in doing so, you will most assuredly lose your way. I'm speaking from experience here, I lost my way. I stood by my husband and did as this author shows in the story or her summer of revelation. It was the right thing to do and she came out on the other side whole. Not sacrificed and wounded.

Allowing yourself to become a puppet and ignoring your own heart is the worst thing you can do for the children. I believe with all my heart that her choices actually saved her children years of torment and confusion. Regardless of the outcome, or shall we say response of your spouse to loving unconditionally and allowing space to grow, denying your own vision is absolutely the most traumatic for any child to watch. They learn by example and they are watching everything.

What I'm trying to say is that the premise of this memoir is life changing. It is exactly the direction I've been going with my memoir writing and not only inspirational to read but encouraging to me even though my marriage took a completely different angle.

I have one child that has continually asked me why I stayed so long in a horrific marriage. I've been searching my soul for the answer to that question...it is found in the pages of this memoir.

Just remember, my friend, that we CANNOT control the other person OR the outcome of circumstances. We can ONLY make choices for our own life and this is the greatest example that any parent can personify. We have a life that matters, we have choices, and the greatest treasure of wisdom we can gather about experiences is that the answer lies within. It always lies within. We have all that we need within our own soul. We are all we need to be happy...

More on this subject...I'm watching this writer, she has my heart and she knows what she's talking about!

P.S. Those that have not given favorable reviews for this should probably read it again. Dig deeper within their own hearts and consider what is being said on a 'soul' level. If you 'missed' the true meaning of this story, maybe...just maybe, you haven't suffered enough. I emplore you to reconsider what is really being said here. This is NOT the story you think it is...(-:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Not The Story You Think It Is....

Quotes Rhonda Rae Liked

Laura Munson
“It's about not taking things personally. Even when you feel the world is crumbling around you. It's about choosing happiness over suffering. It's about retraining the way we think.”
Laura Munson, This Is Not The Story You Think It Is...: A Season of Unlikely Happiness