Laura's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Jan 28, 2012

bookshelves: hf, xx2012xx, crime-thriller-suspense, library-request, lib-has-audio, love-stories, scifi, us-history, 12-brilliants-in-12, favorites, bricks
Recommended to Laura by: Who didn't?
Recommended for: Everyone and anyone
Read from January 16 to 28, 2012

Yes. Leg-hump worthy, as one friend said, true. Exceeds expectations, as another one said, also true. I call this one my "jello book". It's like falling into a swimming pool filled with jello. Easy to fall in, hard to crawl back out of.

I started reading Stephen King in high school, maybe even middle school. When I read him, I expect a thrill-ride, a spine-tingle, you know....King. You expect what he consistently delivers. This book was so much more.

As I was reading, I kept wanting to write down my thoughts, so that when I wrote my review, it would have more meaning. The only problem was, the story was so unputdownable, that I only got one thought down on paper. And that was this: "It's like sitting down at the kitchen table with someone you've known forever, who you like and are comfortable with, and they're telling you a story." A story that you never want to end. A story that feels so real, even though time travel is a significant element. No joke!

To experience this book is to be totally immersed in the story. And I don't even like books about time travel. I am not a sci-fi fan. Never have been. Fantasy, yeah, but time travel??? It's too "out there", too unbelievable. But not in this book.

To sum up the plot in one sentence, someone goes back in time to see if the Kennedy assassination can be undone. That's the story. OK, so at one point, while reading, I stopped to think "Wow, so does he do it? Can he really undo that event, and change history? Well, obviously he didn't, because Kennedy did die, and he was shot in Dallas that day."

I know, right? And then I immediately thought "Holy crap, I am so immersed in this story that I actually had that thought! Wow! What a master King is!"

Yes. What a master. Do you need any more encouragement? Read the freaking book.

It's all here. It engulfs you from page one, you care about the characters (a lot, and all of them), there's a love story that screams for a movie remake (and it will happen, and I really hope Hollywood doesn't foul it up), the pages literally fly by. At one point, I was very mad to have a job because I had to put the book down after my lunch break and get back to work. True! It's just one of those books, a must-read. Well, I take that back. Must experience. You don't read this book, you experience it. Brilliant.
18 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.

01/16/2012 page 11
01/20/2012 page 231
27.0% "Total immersion. This book ROCKS!"
01/20/2012 page 231
27.0% "Holy crapoly read this book!"
01/21/2012 page 269
32.0% "Can't put it down, don't want it to end. The best kind of book!"
01/21/2012 page 269
32.0% "Can't put it down, don't want it to end. The best kind of book!"
01/22/2012 page 410
48.0% 3 comments
01/25/2012 page 601
71.0% 2 comments
01/27/2012 page 790
93.0% "The nuclear bomb could go off, and yet I'd be reading..."
show 20 hidden updates…

message 1: by Cam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cam I am hoping to get to this next, or within the next couple of reads Laura. I'll be following your progress closely.

Laura So far I'm loving it! It's been so long since I read King! I love his style. You know how you just know when you're reading a great book? That's how the Jobs bio was too. Love that feeling! I'll be I treated to see what you think.

And Shantaram is in my near future too!

message 3: by Cam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cam Hopefully you'll love that one too.

Laura I so hope! This is the year of the bricks!

message 5: by Cam (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cam I get the feeling your a little partial to bricks Laura. I've seen quite a few pass my screen with your name attatched.

Laura LOL Yes they are a weakness! What's better tho than a book that you love....that never ends???

message 7: by Jeane (new) - added it

Jeane Completely agree with your last comment Laura. I love the idea to get completley into a book and knowing it is for isntance over 1000pages when that happens it jut such a great feeling!

Laura It soo is! This one keeps getting better and better!!

Marialyce This was one of the fastest 1000 page book I ever read. What a treat to read!

Laura Yay!!!

Laura Holy crap, you aren't kidding Marialyce.

Marialyce Laura wrote: "Holy crap, you aren't kidding Marialyce."

So glad you are liking this. I think it is King's very best novel.....such a different type of book for him bravo Mr King!

Laura Have you read Duma Key, M? That may be my next King. I so like this type of fiction, but not so much for the horror. Love pages flying by though!

Marialyce I have read Duma Key and liked it a lot.....it is a bit more Kingish, or at least what we like to think of as Kingish, some scare but not a whole lot of horror,....I also read his Full Dark, No Stars fairly recently. It is a collection of short stories, quite good too!

Laura Thx I just added that one!

message 16: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen 5 stars - really! Saw this on the book table at Costco and half-read a bit of the dust jacket. Just didn't think it would be that good, but may have to revisit... thanks for the recommendation.

Laura It's tremendous Kathleen. I don't like time travel books, but this one is brilliant. He goes way beyond expectations. It's a tender love story almost before it's anything else. Just fascinating.

message 18: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Loved your review, L! I wasn't really interested in this book, but now I'm thinking I may need to give it a try.

Laura Yes you do girl! You will LOVE it!

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Laura, Okay, moving it up the queue!

message 21: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Laura wrote: "I so hope! This is the year of the bricks!"

Laura Lisa wrote: "Laura, Okay, moving it up the queue!"

I'm so glad to hear it!

Laura Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Laura wrote: "I so hope! This is the year of the bricks!"

In my world they're "kitten squishers" ie large enough to squish a kitten if they fell of a shelf."

I'm a cat lover, but that's still hilarious. Never heard of that one!

message 24: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Ah, all the more reason to read those kitten squishers and protect your poor feline chums.

Laura Hehe, so true! Purr on!

message 26: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha ok, after reading this reviewm I"m sold. lol!!

Laura Yay!!! :)))))

message 28: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha :D

message 29: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha I just wish I still had the book, which I got for free btw. Perfect condition. I forget where I gave it away too. :(

Laura Wow, did you win it?

message 31: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha Amazingly, it was just sitting in a box of FREE books at my library! It was in mint condition. I could kick myself now. Lol

Laura Unreal!!

message 33: by Tasha (new) - added it

Tasha I know!

Tiffini You had me at leg hump worthy lol

message 35: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan Laura, I see that I already liked your review. I love it even more now that I've read the book. Yes, I agree with you about how real it felt and how hard it was to put down.