Christina's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ya, stayed-up-too-late
Read in November, 2011

Loved this book. I haven't read a book (or series) this fast-paced since the Hunger Games -- it completely sucked me in, and casually starting the first book led to a marathon reading of the series (the downside to kindles... enabling this type of impulsiveness).

The book is about settlers on a planet where you can hear everything other people think and where there are no women. Of course, it's all more complicated than that but discovering what's going on is part of the intrigue of the book, which follows 13-year old Todd, the youngest boy in the settlement. The narration is all in Todd's uneducated vernacular, which I thought would annoy me but which actually became one of my favorite aspects of the book. Or maybe it was just that he was such a great character -- a mix of roughness and kindness and bravery.

The concept of being able to hear what other people are thinking, and how intrusive and damaging that would be for everyone, is fascinating and well-done. Even the animals talk, but they don't have much of value to say. There are also a lot of interesting ideas about personal choices, gender roles, and politics. Along a backdrop of practically non-stop action.

I want to take points off for the frustrating ending, but I'm giving back the points for this book featuring one of the BEST FICTIONAL DOGS EVER.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

11/26/2011
10.0% "Really creative idea, intrigued."