Cait's Reviews > The Book of Blood and Shadow

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman

Apr 16, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, wish-list, reviews, netgalley
Read from March 05 to April 02, 2012

THE BOOK OF BLOOD AND SHADOW by Robin Wasserman was not what I was expecting – in a good way. I’m not quite sure what I had in mind, actually, but I do know that once I started reading I was hooked for good. I fully credit this to the brilliant way that Robin Wasserman begin the story. Starting with an intense scene and then flashbacking until you’re brought up to that scene was a definite way to get my attention. It’s like, oh look, murder – how did that happen?

Nora’s voice comes through loud and clear. Her emotions are front and center for the reader to experience, even when she’s not as forthcoming with them as she could be. And who can blame her? She’s had some tough stuff go down in her life, and the events in this take her through the wringer. It’s a sign of some good writing when you get attached to the characters and feel for them. Honestly, I think Nora handles herself amazingly. She’s caught up in this crazy search for an artifact that may or may not even exist, she has groups of people all wanting knowledge she doesn’t even know she possesses in the beginning and she has no idea who may be friend or foe. I had no idea who was friend or foe! You think you know one thing, and then BAM. Nope, sorry, it’s really this. Loved it, even if it drove me mental at times.

THE BOOK OF BLOOD AND SHADOW is this intense ride through murder, jealousy, hidden identities, Prague and secret religious orders – one intent on finding the machine rumoured to allow one to talk to God, and one trying to stop them. The writing is stark and straightforward, and conveyed the anxiousness of the characters really well. Despite the fact that I felt the pieces needed for the Lumen Dei were rather conveniently found in Prague, I have to remember that there were crazy factors to consider, like two secret societies and letters from a long-dad woman leading Nora on her quest. The letters from this woman, Elizabeth, were a nice touch to add in to the narration, if a bit long and many. It helped give a sense of time and place to the story, and how all-encompassing this search for the Lumen Dei has been.

THE BOOK OF BLOOD AND SHADOW by Robin Wasserman is an eery and mysterious story that will definitely keep you awake reading long into the night.

Originally posted at Escape Through the Pages with the same rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Blood and Shadow.