Alexander Lesher's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Dec 07, 11

Read from November 26 to December 02, 2011

I think that I am giving this book 4 stars because I had to be so committed to the end of it. There were many times where this was a 2 star book for me, but the intrigue was present enough that I persevered until the end. I have a great deal of problems this book, as well. The sexual obsessions seemed rather misogynistic at most points as his treatment of women was very blatantly objectifying. The treatment of sexual abuse of children was, in the end, rather flippant at best. I can't really wrap my mind around it. In addition, this book could have probably shaved 200 pages of simple repetition of what we know. So much of the book is the characters recounting what just happened and taking stock of what happened repeatedly and it is never complex enough for this to be warranted in any fashion. It dries up the well of mystery which I feel is intended. It also removes any possible discussion about the mysteries of this book. There is little to suspect is so much is laid out for the reader over and over. On the other hand, the readers were all great and I will be hard-pressed to find another epic to intrigue me to the level this did with its delivery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.