Jacqui's Reviews > Tuesdays with Morrie

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Jan 02, 15

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir, biography, philosophy, psychology, spirituality
Read from February 13 to 19, 2012

Memorable Quotes
“He was intent on proving that the word “dying” was not synonymous with “useless”.

“Dying,” Morrie suddenly said, “is only one thing to be sad over, Mitch. Living unhappily is something else.”

“I may be dying, but I am surrounded by loving, caring souls. How many people can say that?”

“The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn’t work, don’t buy it.”

“The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.”

“Maybe death is the great equalizer, the one big thing that can finally make strangers shed a tear for one another.”

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.”

“Love is the only rational act.”

“...tapes, like photographs and videos, are a desperate attempt to steal something from death’s suitcase.”

“Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.”

“Without love, we are birds with broken wings.”

“I suddenly knew why he so enjoyed my leaning over and adjusting his microphone, or fussing with the pillows, or wiping his eyes. Human touch. At seventy-eight, he was giving as an adult, and taking as a child.”

“These were people so hungry for love that they were accepting substitutes. They were embracing material things and expecting a sort of hug back. But it never works. You can’t substitute material things for love or for gentleness or for tenderness or for a sense of comradeship.”

“...when you most need it, neither money nor power will give you the feeling you’re looking for, no matter how much of them you have.”

“...love is how you stay alive, even after you are gone.”

“People haven’t found meaning in their lives, so they’re running all the time looking for it. They think the next car, the next house, the next job. Then they find those things are empty, too, and they keep running.”

“It’s natural to die,” he said again. “The fact that we make such a big hullabaloo over it is all because we don’t see ourselves as part of nature. We think because we’re human we’re something above nature.”

“As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here.”

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.”
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tuesdays with Morrie.

02/17/2012 page 91

Oldgaol Really enjoyed this book, He had so much courage to be dying and to want to share his life experiences with others is amazing. It makes you more understanding of death thanks to people like Morrie, and not so fearful, and also the fact his wife showed a lot of kindness allowing others to intrude on what were their last moments together.