Rebecca 's Reviews > Illuminate

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: debut-author-chal-2012, 2012
Read from May 01 to 04, 2012

3.5/5

I struggled in the beginning and though it took me quite a while to fully submerge into the story of Illuminate, in the end I can happily say it redeemed itself.

Aimee Agresti has a beautiful prose. I simply loved the way she described the setting in such a stunningly manner, engulfing your senses.

The characters are an interesting bunch that’s for sure. The protagonist, Haven – smart, brave and a little geeky (but in a good way) – is a character I imagine readers will be able to relate to. Very much in the sense that like your average teen, Haven, is unsure, insecure and still figuring out she is. It was a pleasure watching her mature and grow as a person since first making her acquaintance and her arriving at Lexington Hotel.

As for the other characters, Lance is such a sweetheart and a fantastic friend. I really loved his character and can’t wait to read more about him in following books to come. For most of the book, I didn’t like Lucian but my opinion of him soon changed once a few things were revealed. Though Aurelia is a bad character, I liked her in the sense that she reminded me of a Disney villain - positively wicked! *insert evil laugh* Ferocious, over the top, Dante, certainly added to the mix and last but not least Joan, who is completely sweet and like a true, overprotective mother.

Though I found it hard to connect with the story at the start, I persevered and kept on and eventually came to a point in the story where instead of struggling to continue on, my interest piqued and all of a sudden I needed to know what was going to happen and how it was all going to end!

I know the length – 500 pages – might be a little intimidating, but if your willing to give it a fair go and invest a bit of your time into a good book full of mystery and intrigue, take a chance on Illuminate!

P.S – Think the cover is pretty online? Just imagine it in person!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminate.