Laura's Reviews > Timepiece

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

May 11, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 10 to 11, 2012

Last year, Hourglass was one of my favorite beach reads during my lovely beach trip. Sadly, this year, I didn't have the chance to read Timepiece while laying out beachside. Despite that, I loved this sequel.

Myra McEntire really knows how to give you a bang for your buck. In all honesty, I should have re-read Hourglass before this one came out, because you jump right back into the story. Like... right back into the action. What's even better is that this book is told from Kaleb's perspective. I love male POVs in YA literature. It's so unique. And Myra does it well.

All the characters are back from before, with a few new and intriguing additions. Kaleb, as mentioned earlier, is the narrator, so it's interesting to see characters that we know and love from his viewpoint. There's definite character growth in many characters, with Kaleb especially. We really learn what makes him tick, and why he reacts the way he does to certain situations. I felt that we didn't see a whole lot of growth from Michael, but then again, this wasn't his story to tell.

Another great thing about the novel was we learn more about the "history" of time travel, the study of time and those people who have spent their lives in the pursuit of capturing it, so to speak. The motives of Hourglass are made clearer, as are the motives of some of the characters (both good and bad).

My one complaint is something that is actually pretty easily rectified. I need to remember to re-read the first book(s) in a series before diving into the sequel. I like to completely remember the story, because I felt like I missed a lot of little plot points that I wouldn't have otherwise.

If you're a fan of Hourglass, you should definitely check out Timepiece. It won't disappoint.

I received a copy of this e-galley courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher. This in no way impacted my review of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timepiece.

05/10/2012 page 93