Roger's Reviews > Ed King

Ed King by David Guterson

Nov 25, 2011

Read from November 25 to December 02, 2011

It's been a week since I finished reading this book and started another, and I'm still thinking about Ed King. To me, that's the sign of a good story. But let's get the negative things out of the way first (I would have given it 4.5 stars because of these things). I'm not so enthralled with the Oedipus theme, I just think the way Guterson shoehorns the plot to fit this theme is a bit hackneyed. The coincidence that precedes the murder of his father is a bit much. And even when he meets his mother to begin his relationship with her is also clunky. That said, I love the "John Irving" quality of the book. Quirky, great characters, lovely scenes... Ed King doesn't seem like a really likable guy. He's consumed with success so much that he neglects personal relationships. His brother Simon seems like a nicer, more thoughtful person, but Ed doesn't really recognize that. Even at the end, Ed disses Simon who seems to understand. And Ed's continuing employment of the pilot Guido is also curious. I hate cab drivers who gab while they drive you and his banter with Ed during flights is extremely annoying. While his company, Pythia, is supposedly the top search engine, it sounds like it's modeled after Apple. Guterson references Microsoft and other tech companies, but never mentions Apple. King's "virtual assistant" Cybil seems to be modeled after Apple's "Siri" doing things that I imagine Siri will be doing in 2017, when the book ends. But overall, I loved this book and will immediately go in search of some of Guterson's other books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ed King.