Morgan's Reviews > The Iron King

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: ya-fantasy
Recommended for: Fans of the Fey
Read from November 25 to December 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I let this one sit on the shelf for many months as I worked through other series, but I'm glad I came back to it. I had been a little hesitant because of its release through Harlequin Teen - I wasn't interested in a quasi-bodice ripper for the YA crowd. Thankfully, Julie Kagawa has created a book that put to rest all those doubts.

Kagawa has taken the established mythology of the fey and definitely added her own elements to it but without those elements feeling contrived. Kagawa looks at the intersection of the traditional fey world and the increasingly technological world; how do the two worlds interact and are they even compatible? I thought it was an interesting twist that I have yet to come across in fey-themed books.

Our heroine, Meghan, starts out very much as a stereotypical teenager (and I had to ask myself, was I REALLY ever that annoying and whiny?) but Meghan certainly evolves as the story proceeds. Towards the start, I was worried we were going to have another passive Bella (see "Twilight") on our hands, who would simply stand around, be adored, and be managed by controlling protectors. Thankfully, we see Meghan begin to take responsibility for her decisions as she navigates the Nevernever is search of her kidnapped four-year-old brother. She is no longer sidelined by her stronger, stealthier (read: male) co-stars.

And I'll admit it: I fell for the Winter Prince, Ash, just about as hard as Meghan did. I am a sucker for star-crossed lovers. I can't help it. I'll definitely be following up with the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron King.