bella's Reviews > Sentenced to Death

Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett

Nov 29, 11

Read from November 25 to 28, 2011

As a fan of the Booktown Mystery series I was so excited to pick up the latest book in the series.

SENTENCED TO DEATH takes place several months after the horrifying murder of Jim Roth, the owner of History Repeats Itself. Life in Stoneham is settling back to normal, or at least Tricia is led to belief. However, she is thrown in the middle of another murder mystery, when her close friend, Deborah, is killed.

I have raved and raved about how much I enjoy the Booktown Mysteries. Of all the contemporary cozy mysteries being published right now, it is my absolute favorite. The murder mystery aspect is always strong and well developed and the characters are always interesting and lively (well except for the murder victim!).

In my opinion, SENTENCED TO DEATH, is the best of the five novels published in this series. Lorna Barrett is keeping things interesting in the small town of Stoneham. When Deborah is killed, Tricia is left to re-assess everything she thought she knew about her close friend, and other friends in the small town.

The residents of Stoneham are constantly evolving. As with any small town (or any big town for that matter) nothing stays the same, and Lorna Barrett skillfully portrays this in the Booktown Mystery series. Relationships and friendships change and evolve, and all this happens skillfully in the background, while the murder mystery takes center stage.

With the combination of the murder mystery, and all the happenings in and around Stoneham, I was absolutely riveted through SENTENCED TO DEATH. By the last page, I gave a contented sigh at having finished another great Lorna Barrett mystery, and a little sad as well. Sad because now I have to patiently wait for the next book in the series to be released. MURDER ON THE HALF SHELF is due for a release on July 3, 2012.

I've said it before and I will say it again. If you haven't read this series, stop what you are doing right now, go to the bookstore, shop online, buy it for Kindle or Nook, do whatever it takes to read this series. It is the best of the contemporary cozy mysteries of 2011 and you won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sentenced to Death.