Monica's Reviews > Christmas with Danny Fit

Christmas with Danny Fit by Amy Lane

Nov 25, 2011

Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I was really surprised by this story. The characters were so wonderfully flawed! At the start of the story, Kit was a slightly overweight 30 year old accountant,and virgin, who was still living at home with his cranky mom. He was absolutely adorable and Amy Lane did an incredible job balancing his issues with his weight, his mother and his desire to start living, enjoying life and have sex.

I had mixed feelings about Jesse, the other main character, as the story progressed. Initially I loved that he was so into Kit before Kit started to work out and get in shape. I thought Jesse was going to be the perfect man, but as we started to get to know Jesse through his pursuit of Kit, I learned that he was deeply flawed and had serious trust and self-esteem issues just like any normal person, despite being so good looking and fit. However, as Kit and Jesse's relationship started to bloom, I saw traits in Jesse that got me wondering with each Kindle page I turned, if he was using Kit or was going to dump him after he had gotten things from him, or heaven forbid file a sexual harassment suit against Kit. I wasn't too keen on the office romance between a boss and his assistant at first.( I got over it).

My problem with Jesse began when Jesse started acting like a brat at times when he didn't get his way, and that bothered me for Kit's sake, and annoyed me as a reader. I didn't like that Jesse almost slept with his ex, after having kissed Kit days before. I didn't like, or understand why Jesse got upset when Kit said he wanted to face him for his first time having sex. Why did Jesse have an issue with that? It was never explained.

But then Jesse starting sharing his insecurities with Kit and I realized he had been so damaged by people breaking their promises to him or mistreating him, that he had real self-esteem issues and I started to excuse his pouts and little tantrums.

I loved how Kit felt about his first argument with Jesse and how he didn't completely let Jesse walk all over him and get his way all the time. I loved how Ms. Lane brought to life the ups and downs in a relationship and allowed Kit and Jesse to show real emotions.

I don't want to give anymore away, even though I've already shared so much about the story. And it is a short story. However, that's what's so amazing about Amy Lane's writing. For such a short story she wrung so many emotions out of me and I was able to connect with both characters in so many ways.

I recommend this story for anyone who is looking for a quick read with great flawed characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas with Danny Fit.