Adrienne's Reviews > Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

Dec 08, 2011

it was ok
Read from November 25 to December 08, 2011

While I laughed occassionally at the grammar jokes and how funny some grammar mistakes are when their unintended meaning is taken literally, I found this book much less interesting than The Fight for English. It was mostly harping about how taken for granted punctation and grammar are, and the correct rules for how to use them. Seeing as I already knew the important rules, and I am by no means a stickler for grammar, I felt like the book wasn't for me. I much preferred learning about the history of our language, including its punctuation and grammar, from The Fight for English. If anyone knows other great books about the history of English, I'd love to check them out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eats, Shoots & Leaves.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Ted (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ted Posselius I agree with you about this book, partly because it refers to English grammar and punctuation, and because Vampire Weekend is right -- who gives a f**k about an Oxford comma? And I do have a book recommendation for you on the subject of the history of the English language: The Story Of English, by Robert McCrum, William Cran and Robert MacNeil.

Adrienne I'll definitely check it out thanks!