Taryn at My Secret Romance's Reviews > The Reluctant Dom

The Reluctant Dom by Tymber Dalton

Jan 08, 2012

bookshelves: spank-me-so-good, contemporary-romance, emotional-angsty-panic-induced, favorites, erotica, hot-steamy-romance, menages, reviewed-by-me, romance
Read from December 30, 2011 to January 01, 2012

This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I can't even begin to explain how bewildered I am with this book. This is one of the most amazing stories I have ever read. It brought a smile to my face and tears in my eyes....many times. I have never cried so hard in my life while reading a book. We knew all along what was going to happen, but you can never truly prepare for it. I kept putting the book down because I knew it was coming....and I wasn't ready for it. But who is ever ready for something that you know will leave you so filled with such anguish? I felt like I was part of it all. Finishing the book was like facing reality and I was afraid it would bring me to my knees. And it did. It was devastating and heart breaking to read, yet it has a bittersweet ending to it. Absolutely wonderful. I'm nearly in tears trying to write this. That is how moving this story is.

The epilogue was great....the whole book was but that was the best. I loved how it was from Tony's point of view. It made it that much more to see from someone else eyes how Seth and Leah fared after Kaden was gone. I cried while reading that part. Kaden's need to make sure Leah's mental health was being is taken care of, as well as her emotional and sexual needs is almost staggering to read. What love they all have for each other. Ah, so beautiful! It's not just about the sex though. While it's plentiful and hot, it shows how two (and three people) can connect on a whole other level than just that.

The authors note was one of my favorite parts of the whole book. This author is one badass chick, especially since she's from my home state and she mentions Publix in her book. Insignificant to most, but not me. After I read this book, I looked Tymber up and read about her. The fact that she openly admits she lives a bdsm lifestyle is points in my book. I have wondered if authors did or they just got their info from friends and books. She doesn't and you can tell it's real from the beginning. This book made me see bdsm in a whole new light. While it's still not for me, I can see why people live this kind of lifestyle. It makes sense in many ways. Just like Leah, I tend to hold everything in, and I mean everything. For some reason I just can't get it out and when I do, I explode, sometimes on the wrong person unfortunately. I usually say I need a good crying session. But maybe what I need is just good spanking, like Leah....or not. This author is awesome!

Bottom line-READ THIS BOOK!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reluctant Dom.

1.0% "Love the Author Note in the beginning." 3 comments
11.0% "11% into this and I've had tears in my eyes three times." 7 comments
12/30/2011
25.0% "We'll have whip practice after dinner." Hmmm...I was thinking of doing the same thing.... LOL" 3 comments
12/31/2011
41.0% "I understand Seth's reluctance with Leah, but I'm starting to get annoyed with him because I am so worried for Leah! She just cut herself, supposedly accidentally. I find that hard to believe."
58.0% "It's sooooooo good!" 2 comments
12/31/2011
76.0% "I know it's coming....and I have to stop reading. I can bare to read anymore right now. It's too much for me." 5 comments
01/01/2012
100.0% 6 comments
02/14/2016 marked as: read

Karla I really enjoyed it Taryn and I hope you do too...plus it's free...YAY!!!

Taryn at My Secret Romance I was going to start it today but I'm not feeling well right now so I may start it later. Total bummer too because the boys won't be home at least until 5pm...that would have been hours of uninterrupted reading! Oh well.

Karla Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I was going to start it today but I'm not feeling well right now so I may start it later. Total bummer too because the boys won't be home at least until 5pm...that would have been hours of uninterr..."

I hope you're feeling better soon, and that you find some time to read over the weekend.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thanks, Karla. I did end up starting it tonight. But I'm heading off to bed soon. I think I'm getting sick...and we can't have mama sick!

Karla Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Thanks, Karla. I did end up starting it tonight. But I'm heading off to bed soon. I think I'm getting sick...and we can't have mama sick!"

No we can't. So many people I know are sick, it's this crazy weather. Feel better!

Taryn at My Secret Romance This weather is crazy! It's been warm, in the 40's and 50's. It's going down though next week to the low 20's.

Karla Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "This weather is crazy! It's been warm, in the 40's and 50's. It's going down though next week to the low 20's."

Maybe snow on Tuesday...not good. I have to go to work, no matter what!

Katie Hey Taryn, the author of this book has a novella that I would recommend as well. It's called Domme By Default. I really enjoyed it.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Karla wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "This weather is crazy! It's been warm, in the 40's and 50's. It's going down though next week to the low 20's."

Maybe snow on Tuesday...not good. I have to go t..."

We've barely had any snow, only in October and that's it so far! I hear we may get snow over here too, but I doubt it.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Katie wrote: "Hey Taryn, the author of this book has a novella that I would recommend as well. It's called Domme By Default. I really enjoyed it."

Thanks so much, Katie! I actually have that one so I'll read it soon.

Sandra Hey Taryn,

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter It's ready to read on my Kindle but honestly, I don't know when I'll be reading it. I've read the first few pages and then I just had to stop...

Taryn at My Secret Romance Sandra (TwilightMomofTwo) wrote: "Hey Taryn,
I've read this book (and loved it and cried buckets) as well as the Love Slave for Two (1 and 2) by the same author which were also very good. They were free, not sure if they still are."

Hey Sandra, I just finished this book and not only loved it but balled my eyes out too. It was awesome! I haven't heard of those other book but her but I will look them up. Are they tear jerkers too?

Taryn at My Secret Romance Baba wrote: "It's ready to read on my Kindle but honestly, I don't know when I'll be reading it. I've read the first few pages and then I just had to stop..."

Why did you stop?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Baba wrote: "It's ready to read on my Kindle but honestly, I don't know when I'll be reading it. I've read the first few pages and then I just had to stop..."

Why did you stop?"

I remember that I was in a very bad mood and the guy will die of pancreas cancer. Same as my dad...I was already bawling my eyes out after a few pages. So not good.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Baba wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Baba wrote: "It's ready to read on my Kindle but honestly, I don't know when I'll be reading it. I've read the first few pages and then I just had to stop..."

W..."

Oh, B. I'm so sorry to hear this. This read may be too personal for you to read...in a way. I cried my eyes out like I've never cried before even though I knew it was coming.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Baba wrote: "Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Baba wrote: "It's ready to read on my Kindle but honestly, I don't know when I'll be reading it. I've read the first few pages and then I just had t..."

I believe you, Taryn. I'm sure it's a very emotional story.

Karla Fabulous review Taryn!! I knew that you would like it. It's a sad story, but the love in the book just overwhelmed me. I love the epilogue too, it was a unique look at Seth's strength, and love he and Leah had for each other. I do hope one day that Tony will get a book too. It would make for an interesting read.

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thanks, Karla! Yes, it was an awesome book! It is definitely one of my favorites by far, no matter how much I cried! Isn't the book Domme by Default suppose to be related to this book in a way? I hope so, because I just bought it last night for the kindle. It was only $1.99.

Karla I don't know Taryn, I know someone had mentioned that book to me too. I will go check it out. Thanks for reminding me.

Lee Anne - OMG! It's TOOOOO Cold! I really liked this book. I cried so hard that my hubby asked me what was wrong. When I told him it was the book, he threatened to take it away for making me cry! It was such a good book!!

message 22: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Jan 08, 2012 05:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Taryn at My Secret Romance Aww! What a sweet hubby! Mine looked at me and was like, what is wrong! He couldn't believe how much I was crying.

message 23: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Great review!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Thanks! Have you read this book yet?

message 25: by Natalie (new)

Natalie No, not yet. Do u think it is worth buying? Or do u know i can get it for free somewhere?

Taryn at My Secret Romance Oh yes, it's worth buying! It's amazing story. It's not free at the moment, but it is only $2.99 on Amazon. You should get it, you won't be sorry. :)

message 27: by Natalie (new)

Natalie okej, thank you!!

message 28: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Huerta Taryn, thank you sooo much for this honest opinion on Reluctant Dom, my friend and I are obsessed with these books after fifty shades since we see there is so much more than sex in most of these novels so we are both scouting to see which one will be our next read. Will let you know what we think about it!

Taryn at My Secret Romance Yvette wrote: "Taryn, thank you sooo much for this honest opinion on Reluctant Dom, my friend and I are obsessed with these books after fifty shades since we see there is so much more than sex in most of these no..."

I'm so glad I could help, Yvette! Which ones are you and your friend trying to decide on to read next? I have a few authors I could list for you that are very good.

Megan I finished this book last night and wok several times in the night feeling a little emotional. I just balled reading your review this morning. I completely agree with you. I latched onto these characters and their feelings. It was so profound. I didn't want it to end. I've never read a book lik this that ties in the erotic and romance and then wreaks havoc on your emotions too. Love love love!

Taryn at My Secret Romance I didn't mean to make you cry! LOL! This is one of those books that you will never forget. I feel like its difficult to find erotic romance with emotion and a very realistic stroy line. This book has it all.