Peggy Barker's Reviews > Trace

Trace by Patricia Cornwell

Dec 03, 2011

Read from November 26 to December 03, 2011

"Trace" is definitely one of a kind. With characters such as Edgar Allan Pogue, Henri Walden and Suz Paulsson, the reader might think the story is full of psychopaths or sociopaths who escaped from a mental facility, mainly.

The new Chief, Dr. Joel Marcus, at OCME is a weirdo who was beginning to give me the impression that he was linked to those morbid crimes, considering the trace evidence that was found. And what was going on with him that he would never leave home on trash pickup day until the trash collectors were completely out of the neighborhood?

He also loathed Scarpetta because of her 'expertise', but she never lets such pettiness get in the way of how she handles herself or her work. I think it was darn nice of her to return to Virginia to help with the Gilly Paulsson case in the first place.

Lucy's new baby 'The Last Precinct' went off with a bang, but she really needs to be more careful in picking the types of employees that she wants to work there. Henri was not a good fit; a self-centered gal who obviously thought that the Universe revolved around her.

Pete Marino was more vulnerable in this novel than I've ever seen. But, then too much booze can lead to trouble, and in this case some "dangerous war games." Nonetheless, he seized the day by tracking Pogue down! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Go Marino!

In the end, after everything fell into place, I was relieved that Scarpetta didn't give Benton too hard of a time for screwing up their Aspen trip. On the other hand, if Scarpetta had not been so understanding, I would have had to blame Lucy.

"Trace" was a good read, but Cornwell has done better work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trace.

11/27/2011 page 100