Anne Crotty's Reviews > My Name Is Memory

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: young-lit

"I have fallen in love, and she is the one who endures. I killed her once and died for her many times and I still have nothing to show for it. I always search for her; I always remember her. I carry the hope that someday she will remember me."
Daniel has been reincarnated countless times. What makes his story different is that he remembers each of his past lives. Daniel’s memory spans 1,500 years. 520 AD was the year when he first met and fell in love with Sophia. Daniel is so in love with Sophia, that he wills himself to remember all of their interactions from one life to the next. Inexplicably, Daniel and Sophia are continually reborn and they encounter each other in each new life. They are reincarnated in different times, on different continents and in different cultures…But one thing remains constant Daniel loves her. In each life…Daniel is overjoyed to find Sophia again…but heartbroken that she does not carry with her memories of their love or past lives.
Daniel learns how to carry skills and wealth from one life to the next. His many lives have provided experience as a doctor, a business man, a builder an artist, and many other occupations. He spends much of his time in each life preparing to meet Sophia. He does not want to frighten her. He knows that she could be easily spooked by his love/obsession. She never remembers him. He continues to encounter her and try to gently stimulate her past life memories so that they can continue their lifelong love affair.
In the most recent incarnation, Sophia is “Lucy”. She is a high school senior who has a crush on the new kid at school “Daniel”. Lucy feels drawn to Daniel. She cannot explain the attraction…He is standoffish and almost sad as he avoids the overtures of the popular crowd. He opts instead to spend his time with the social outcasts. Lucy decides that she can help Daniel navigate the treacherous landscape of high school.
Lucy and Daniel encounter villains from their past lives. These people are enemies that have also been reincarnated to try to harm or kill them for various reasons. It becomes apparent that love is not the only emotion that is carried from one incarnation to the next.
Lucy does in fact pull away from Daniel when he scares her with stories of their many shared past lives. But she finds that she cannot explain the depth of her feelings for him. Just as she is willing to trust him their lives are in danger when an evil figure from their past tracks them down. Lucy must decide if she can trust Daniel or if he should forget all that her heart is trying to tell her and listen to her head that is screaming for her to run away from Daniel and all of the danger that he has rained down upon her life.
I loved this book. I could not put it down. The ending was not 100% satisfying however, it is the first book in a trilogy. So I will wait for the next book while I hope for the best for Lucy and Daniel. This book has a Time Travels Wife meets Twilight feel for me that much to my surprise I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed.
My Name Is Memory
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name Is Memory.

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Kiesel This sounds a lot like the Fallen Series by Lauren Kate. I feel compelled to read it now, just to see how similar it is!

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea This reminds me of Juliet Immortal. It is interesting that reincarnating love affairs are a common theme in young adult lit now.