Todd Russell's Reviews > The Quiet

Nov 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: novellas, horror
Read from November 25 to December 02, 2011

I enjoyed the beginning of The Quiet and was fondly reminded of Rod Serling's pilot for The Twilight Zone called "Where is Everybody?" I was hopeful that this might go somewhere as unique and interesting. Once I learned what happened, however, my interest in the story waned.

Formatting? There was an extra space between paragraphs on the Kindle that threw me out of the story a few times. I kept thinking this was a scene break. I got used to the format as time went on, but this is different than many other Kindle formatted books I've read.

The writer did a good job painting the setting and creating a creepy atmosphere. Characterization? Benson seemed somewhat one-dimensional to me throughout most of the story. I didn't care enough about what happened to him to get fully invested in the action that happens later in the story. I was more interested in what happened to the world.

Overall an OK read. Rounded from 2.5 to 3 stars for the first 30% of the story that, again, I thought was very well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quiet.