Melee's Reviews > The Dud Avocado

The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy

Nov 27, 11

Read in November, 2011

Well! I was pleasantly surprised by this book! Or the ending, at least; I really did not see the last 50 pages coming. Perhaps they didn't perfectly align with the rest of the book, but I didn't (and don't) really care. The heroine (Sally Jay) impressed me too! She was not nearly as glibly amoral as I thought she would be. She was charming, amusing, and (at times) relatable.
There were a few boggy scenes to be waded through, but there was always something amusing or interesting waiting on the other side. It's a shame Elaine Dundy wrote more nonfiction than novels. But apparently, The Dud Avocado is autobiographical (though to what extent, I couldn't say).

My most favourite and applicable quote from the book:

"I couldn't stop singing to myself in the taxi--that heavenly tune about taking a chance on love. It's terribly embarrassing and it's always happening to me: the words of a song will suddenly exactly echo my inner feelings and out they come. Like that awful time I kept filling in pauses of a hard-luck story someone was giving me with the Judy Garland song about the road getting rougher and lonelier and tougher. Couldn't stop myself. Could have died the way it just kept coming out."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dud Avocado.