Stephen's Reviews > Coming Home

Coming Home by Lauren Brooke

Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: teen-reads, books-read-in-2011
Recommended for: horse girls who want a series
Read on November 25, 2011

I recently encountered the television series and was curious about the book series that spawned it. The TV series in some ways improves on the books. Both are wholesome and good family fare.

For decades I've accepted the stereotype that adolescent girls are attracted to horses because they're big and powerful and somewhat threatening but with care and training they can be loving beasts... unlike the other beasts that fascinate girls of that age, teenaged boys. I feel that this book doesn't cater to the stereotype but does fulfill it.

This is not a series that I imagine has much appeal to teen boys, but I found this one interesting. I probably would read another in the series in a pinch but probably won't go looking for them. I think that they somehow lack something that makes them truly entrhralling. The characters lacked a level of development that made them feel as real as they might have. As someone who's read a lot of fiction that's been redeveloped on the screen, this one felt more like a tie-in book than as a source book that spawned a series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Home.

11/25/2011 page 70
49.0% "Saw the TV series and have been intrigued about the books that spawned it."
11/25/2011 page 71
49.0% "Ty is already at the ranch in the books. Mrs. Bell Dies? Matt's new."

Jessica Simone Hi Stephen, Do you have these books in electronic form? I read them as a child and really want to read them all again?

Stephen Sorry, I don't I got my copy of this one from paperbackswap.com and I see that they have copies of most of them available.

I was curious because of the TV adaptation and wanted t read one in book form to see how faithfully they's been adapted. In my judgement the TV series has actually improved on the storyline.