Jt Kalnay's Reviews > The Prospect of My Arrival

6152007
Nov 25, 11

Read in November, 2011

Couldn't Put It Down!

I read Prospect Of My Arrival on Thanksgiving Day, 2011, while seated in the lobby of an emergency room in Oberlin, Ohio. The nearness of both life (a woman in labor was brought in while I waited) and death (I had brought in a man who thought he was having a heart attack) made the story extremely poignant and moving. Prospect is a pre-born, who is given a chance to "test drive" the human world before deciding whether he will be physically born. His spirit is given a pre-fab human-like host body from Big Farm (big pharma...). Prospect is then sent out into the world for three weeks to meet with representative "Referrals" who will provide him information upon which he can base his decision. Neither Prospect nor the reader has any idea how this exploration will turn out. Brilliant scientists are interested in his voyage of discovery, Big Pharam is interested in profits, Conservatives and Liberals each have their opinions, and the Referrals all seem to have their own agendas. Only Prospect goes out into the world without an agenda, and without any preconceived notions about what he will find or what he should do. Through the interactions with the Referrals, Mr. Okita does a masterful job of presenting rationale for and against the decision to bring another life into this world, and the rationale for and against suicide. The characters are vivid, the inter-party dialogue is crisp, and the internal dialogue is revealing and brutally honest. Through Prospect's unbiased eyes and mind, Mr. Okita pulls no punches in examining the best and the worst in our society. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I think you will too. 5 stars.

Sincerely,
JT Kalnay
Author of The Pattern, The Keeper, and Mina's Eyes
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prospect of My Arrival.