Sandy's Reviews > Southbound

Jan 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from December 03, 2011 to January 05, 2012

My own sister got me turned on to the adventure of hiking the Appalachian Trail - she has a real fascination for the possibility. I've discovered that I like reading books about this while sitting in my warm house in my comfy chair or bed. I'm enthralled with what thru hikers endure - and why in the world they would want to!

Hiking the Trail barefoot wasn't a possibility I had ever considered before reading this book, but evidently it's not all that rare - there are associations of barefoot hikers! This book was written by two sisters in their early twenties who set out from Maine to hike to Georgia barefoot. Chapters are alternately written by each sister and that was one of the things I had the most trouble with. To me, their voices weren't always distinctive enough to remember which sister was talking. I would have liked the writing style to vary or something. I enjoyed most their relationships with some of their fellow sobos (southbound hikers). The role of food (and the constant lack thereof) is a major theme of the book, as with most AT hiking stories.

Not great literature or even spellbinding storytelling, but it is a good book for experiencing another hiking tale of the Appalachian Trail.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southbound.