Julie's Reviews > The Seduction Of Elliot McBride

The Seduction Of Elliot McBride by Jennifer Ashley

Feb 04, 13

bookshelves: kindle, scarred-hero
Read from December 30, 2012 to January 01, 2013

** spoiler alert ** Jennifer Ashley's Highland Pleasures series is a favorite of mine, but none of the books have been quite as good as the first in the series. This latest addition, which is fifth in the series was pretty good, the story of Elliot McBride who has returned to Scotland after surviving a horrendous ordeal in India. He is scarred inside and out and the only one that can soothe him is Juliana, his childhood sweetheart. Juliana who is jilted at the last minute on her wedding day is reunited with Elliot and he marries her then and there on the spot. How fortuitous he happened to be there! And so begins their whirlwind first few weeks as a married couple as he sweeps her off her feet and takes her to his crumbling castle in the Highlands. No sooner do they arrive with his Indian servants in tow, that she realizes he's "a little" mad. His captivity has taken it's toll on him mentally and he has a tendency to start strangling people. And so is the now familiar plotline in this Highlander series in which these big and burly Highlanders have a heavy burden to carry from a tortured past. They are all a little crazy because of it, but the love of a good woman calms them down and makes them somewhat normal again. I loved this scenario at first in The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie, but now I'm finding it a bit formulaic. Don't get me wrong, the writing and sensuality is top notch, but there just wasn't anything that really grabbed me with this one. There's no sexual tension between Elliot and Juliana, they wind up together from the very beginning and sex is incredible for them every. single. time. Which is several times a day. Just about the only thing good Elliot has going for himself is the fact he's having sex so much! But there's this pesky problem he's dealing with - he's accused of killing a former friend of his in India, although there was never really any doubt that he's wrongly accused and it looks like his former friend is trying to kill Elliot. But, Elliot, ever the macho Highlander goes out after him in the dead of night, determined to be the hunter rather than the huntee. During all of this, Juliana has a lot to deal with on her plate, but her lists and organizational skills help enormously, which is sort of a running joke throughout the book. All in all, not my favorite of the Mackenzie novels, but I still liked it. Overall, it needed more suspense and sexual tension to keep it afloat and interesting, luscious cover though.

3.5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seduction Of Elliot McBride.