Amanda Grange's Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Nov 25, 11

I discovered this book at my local library when I was in my early teens. To begin with, the library only had The Two Towers and every week I would hope to find the first book in the trilogy, The Fellowship of the Rings, but it was never there. In the end, I reserved a copy, because I was so intrigued by the cover (the edition with the eye on the front). I was transported to another world, one which was partly familiar from previous reads such as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrbobe, but one which was also distinctly unique.

I soon became engrossed with Frodo's journey and I was gripped by the alternating light and dark scenes, with the hobbits singing in the bath one minute and then in terror from the black riders the next.

If you like fantasy and you haven't read this, then it's a must read. It's influenced just about every fantasy writer you can mention, as well as films and role playing games. And if you've seen the films but not read the books, then I can also highly recommend them. There are many, many scenes in the books that couldn't fit into the films, and you will find strange, unearthly beauty and terrible, deadly menaces every step of the way.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.