Jan's Reviews > The Famous Heroine / The Plumed Bonnet

1931718
Nov 25, 11

bookshelves: romance, z-2011, historical-romance
Read from November 24 to 25, 2011

Happy sighs, happy sighs, happy sighs.

What two delicious feel good stories. I'm always afraid I'll find the more traditional regencies boring, because of the lack of steam, but the opposite happened here, I was quite delighted.

The Famous Heroine is a bit of a farce, and has a bit of a duck out of the water feel to it. But I always love a friends to lovers theme, and Cora and Francis were so utterly, utterly cute together. And it's always great to see that the characters are in love, and that it's obvious to everyone except for themselves. I totally "Awwwwwww"ed aloud when Cora realized her own feelings.

And the misunderstanding of where the true interest of Francis lied was terribly sweet and original as well.

The Plumed Bonnet was completely different and less light, but equally heartwarming. I liked the romantic Duke already in the Famous heroine, and it was quite sad that he had given up on his dream of finding a soulmate. Stephanies pain at not being able to be herself, but feeling duty-bound to be a good duchess was heartbreaking, and it was so incredibly nice to see them finally understand each other and fall in love. I'm such a big sucker for starchy heroes who loosen up thanks to the power of loooooooooove.

So yeah, happy sighs everywhere. Guess I'm not over historical romance after all, I'm just over the wallpaper kind.

Recommended to readers in need of a feel-good book :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Famous Heroine / The Plumed Bonnet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel you, dude.

Balogh is so reliable, isn't she?

message 2: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan I haven't read all that much of her, (there's so much to choose from! So much out of print!), but I adored the ones I've read. I hope they reprint a lot of her backlist.

message 3: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline I've always been very fond of The Plumed Bonnet. I'm lucky enough that I've been reading her from the first and have all the old ones. I like her older stuff so much better than the new stuff. So you have a lot of good reads to look forward to. :-)

message 4: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Yeah I only discovered her late. I got a couple of the Slightly books thanks to a yard sale, and read Wulfrics book a while ago, but never got around to the other stuff of hers I got. Then I saw a review for this and read the sample, and I was sold.

There's something about good traditional regencies that's very alluring. I think it's because so much of the attraction and relationship development has to be done with dialogue.

Luisana I really liked the Plumed Bonnet. I think Alistair was so damn romantic and comical even. I preferred the Plumed Bonnet over The Famous Heroine because I simply wasn't buying the "love" and even in The Plumed Bonnet, Cora tells Stephanie that she and Francis are "dear friends"...I really liked Alistair...so damn romantic at the end at the lake.