Sandi's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, e-books, literature, sci-fi
Recommended to Sandi by: I think I read it already, not sure.
Read in July, 2012

I could have sworn I read this book in high school, but it seemed new to me. The writing is absolutely amazing. Even though I knew how it ended, I was still torn to shreds when the inevitable occurred. I can see why this is a modern classic and am glad both my kids were required to read it in high school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♪ Kim "Flowers for Algernon" was also published as a short story. I read that in high school - could that be what you remember? I read the novel much later; but in any format, it's still a favorite. It's the kind of story that makes an impression and sticks with you.

Sandi I probably read the short story. One thing that I didn't mention in my review is how the word "retarded" affected me when talking about Charlie. That was the right word to use back then, but is socially unacceptable now. It was probably more disturbing than reading the n-word in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because it comes from an era that I actually remember rather than being something from history.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) This is one of my favorite stories of all time.