Karen's Reviews > Bird in a Box

Bird in a Box by Andrea Davis Pinkney

May 09, 12

bookshelves: young-reads
Read from May 05 to 06, 2012

I like that so many authors these days are choosing to write historical fiction for older children ages 9-13. It's difficult for children to respond to history so as a teacher, I'm always looking for books that are about other children living during a time of historical importance. Children can relate much better. Bird in a Box is about three children living under different difficult circumstances during the Depression. Each child dreams for something better for themselves much like their hero, Joe Louis, who was the first man of African descent to become the heavy-weight boxing champion of the world. It was very exciting and his victory gave many people hope at a desperate time in America's history. I think Pinkney captured that excitement well as the children looked forward to the big fight. Their stories eventually intertwined in the end quite satisfactorily. While I think the writing was pretty good, I think the characters could have been better defined. I kept getting the two boys mixed up. Also, while the use of figurative language is a good writing tool, I think Pinkney might have overdone it a bit, Otis's jokes aside.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bird in a Box.